Do I Wrap A Cake Board?

Decorating By MammaG Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm by MammaG

MammaG Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 8

I usually make cakes to eat right away, but this one I'm working on now is for Saturday. Do I need to wrap the cardboard cake board with something (saran?) or is it fine to leave it? I always leave ours, but it's gone pretty quickly. Thanks

7 replies
dstbni Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 8

I usually wrap my board in foil or Press n' Seal. I've found that when I don't, the bare cardboard will get greasy and look gross. HTH

Mike_Elder Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 8

Always wrap your board! Cardboard is the perfect place for bacteria to grow and alot of times it has chemicals from the assembly process still on it. not to mention most cardboard plants don't worry about mice and vermin walking on it? If you start to think about it the list goes on and on
Mike

Win Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 8

Absolutely, yes. Actually, you might want to double your thickness and then wrap. You can glue two (better yet, three) boards together for the strength you will need as the cake sits and becomes more and more moist. Wrap your board with cake foil, or regular foil if you do not have the decorative wrap. Unless I am making it for my family and it will be consumed entirely in the same evening or will be placed in a cake holder for additional support, I always use at least a 1/2" thick board that is moisture proofed. (learned it the hard way years ago when I dropped a red velvet due to unstable board --the dog ate it and then had to go to the vet... an expensive lesson to be sure!) HTH!

MammaG Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Absolutely, yes. Actually, you might want to double your thickness and then wrap. You can glue two (better yet, three) boards together for the strength you will need as the cake sits and becomes more and more moist. Wrap your board with cake foil, or regular foil if you do not have the decorative wrap. Unless I am making it for my family and it will be consumed entirely in the same evening or will be placed in a cake holder for additional support, I always use at least a 1/2" thick board that is moisture proofed. (learned it the hard way years ago when I dropped a red velvet due to unstable board --the dog ate it and then had to go to the vet... an expensive lesson to be sure!) HTH!

Do you make it that thick even between tiers? How does that work?

Win Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Do you make it that thick even between tiers? How does that work?

I, personally, do not use boards that thick in between, but I did see a post yesterday discussing that very thing. Mine are just normal thickness in between, coated or covered. It's the base that I make sure is at least 1/2 thick. I'll try to find the forum topic from yesterday and post it for you. icon_biggrin.gif

Win Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 8

Wow. That was easier than I thought... was still on the first page.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-658017.html

MammaG Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Wow. That was easier than I thought... was still on the first page.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-658017.html

LOL maybe I should have looked harder. Thanks to all of you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%