Just What Can You Do With An Edible Ink Printer?

Decorating By bricker Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 6:56pm by tyty

bricker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bricker Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 113

Hi,
I'm new to this site. I really enjoy reading all the posts! I am sort of new to cake decorating, dabbled in it for about a year now. What I would like to know is just what can be done with an edible ink printer? Can you just do actual photo's of people or can you also scan a picture from maybe a coloring book and then have that image printed onto the frosting paper? I am confused about this. I am thinking about buying a printer, inks, frosting paper, but I really want to be able to scan a lot of different things. Thanks for any help you can give me.
bricker

112 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 113

Welcome!

One thing I used my printer for was to print tiny accents for cakes. I had to do a Nemo cake, the little-little fish were swimming all around the tiers. I just found a page with all the fish and cut them out, much better looking then if I had tried to pipe them all.

I haven't thought about but you could print a coloring page and just attach it an then fill an pipe over. Would be neat.

I've had my printer for two years. I bought the ink an it only lasted about two months, I haven't bought any more. I'm not sure if that's normal, but that was just to high to keep buying. I was only able to print about 10 sheets, not full pages either. like I said I don't think that this is normal.

Good Luck an Happy Baking! Katie

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 113

Katie -

Something is wrong, that is not normal.

I have done pictures of all sorts on my cakes...made edible choc. placecards for weddings...made chocolate boxes with names on them.

They are fun to use...but...can be a pain. Pricey... and they can have a mind of their own. It's really best if you use it often.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 113

I didn't think it was normal for it to print so little. I contacted the company that I bought my ink from an they weren't real helpful. I haven't been in too big of a hurry to buy from them again an I don't know that there is anywhere else to get ink for my printer from.

I went the cheaper route an purchased a Epson an just ordered edibile ink.

JenniferMI Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 113

I like PhotoFrost Katie.

Jen icon_smile.gif

PhotoFrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PhotoFrost Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 113

Hi Bricker and welcome to the forums. There are sooo many things you can do with Edible Ink Printing, and it can be fun to. You are only limited in printing what you can create yourself. You can do photos, vines, frames, logos little do-dads, whatever you can create you can print and use.

Katie sorry to hear about your troubles you had with your printing system. That is defenitely far from normal and bad customer service can be very frustrating. Average print counts on my cartridges are from anywhere between 50-75 sheets depending on what I am printing and now that my cartridges have auto-resetting chips on them I can refill them up to 3x before needing to replace them. Saves quite a bit of money there as well.

Jennifer thanks for the plug, we do our best to ensure everyone is happy with our products.

Bricker no matter what you do hope it works out well for you, Happy Printing and no matter what have a great time doing it. If I can be of any help or if you have specific questions just let me know. Thats what I am here for. icon_smile.gif

bricker Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 113

Thanks all of you for your replys to my question. I guess I will think about it for a little bit before I decide whether to invest in one. This might be something for me to consider down the road when I start selling some of my cakes. Thanks again!
bricker

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 113

I use mine for everything! It is so convenient and wonderful! I like printing out wraps for cakes. I've scanned wallpaper borders and printed them in strips and wrapped around a cake. I've done the same with print fabric. I've done the character figures that were already mentioned... print them out, lay it on a rolled out sheet of fondant, then trim with exacto knife and dry, you have stand up figures that look really cute! There are so many wonderful opportunities!

One word of warning: Don't get sucked into buying a $1200+ "system" from some company. All you need is a compatible printer (you can find a list of compatible printers at www.icingimages.com I get all my supplies from them, good people!) some edible paper, and some edible ink cartridges. Make sure you only use a printer that has not had regular ink used in it! That's important!

JenniferMI Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 113

Yes, I agree, you don't need to buy an expensive printer. Shop online for the best price icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

bricker Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 113

It sounds interesting, I am tempted. Melvira, sounds like you do a lot of neat things with yours. How exactly does it work...I mean, do you purchase a printer that has a scanner so that you can scan pictures and then print them out? I am interested in doing some of the things you use yours for. Specifically, I would like to be able to scan a picture of a cartoon character then print it off to put on a cake. I am not clear on how this works exactly. Can you explain to me? Can you scan any kind of picture then print it off? I see that some printers come with 4 ink colors, some five or six. What is best?
Thanks again for everyone's help.
bricker

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 113

The all-in-one machines are really inexpensive and it gives you the scanner and copying functions that may come in handy.

Having said that, I have only printed off photos which are in a .jpg format. I printed them directly from my computer to the image printer. The frosting sheets I purchased came with a product code that gives you use of a little program that you can download to your computer. It helps you size the pictures according to the frosting sheet you want to use (2 or 3" rounds for cookies, 7" rounds, or a regular 8 1/2 x 11 - frosting part is a little smaller than that though.). The program gives you the option of adding text as well.

You can also just edit your photo and add text etc in Word or a photo program and then you can print it to your image printer as you would a document (assuming you are using the full sheets, just adjust your margains accordingly).

Hope that helps.

Melvira Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:17am
post #12 of 113

Well, you want to start by checking out the compatible printers at Icing Images. You have to get one that has color cartridges made for it. Then you need to decide how much you want to spend of course, because these printers can run anywhere from $40 on sale, to goodness-knows-how-much. If you want to be able to scan, then looking for a compatible all-in-one would be a great idea. I've used scanned images, downloaded things from memory sticks or cameras, searched for images online, used clip art, etc. All the ways you would find an image to use. I like to use Microsoft Publisher to make my images because #1 I HAVE it, and #2 I am very familiar with how to use it. But, as mentioned, you can use something as simple as Paint or Word to make your layout.

And yes, you can print ANYTHING on an edible image. I ADORE printing out pictures of my kids and putting them on cookies as treats for people. They love it and sometimes want to save them, but the smell drives them wild and they end up devouring them! Hahaha!

If you have any specific questions, or just want more information, or even assistance on finding a compatible model, feel free to PM me, or email me. I am more than happy to help! I've even done some prints for other CC members and mailed them to them in situations where their system has been down, or they didn't have a printer and just needed a single print, etc. It is really exciting, all the things you can do with it! You'll be hooked if you try it out! thumbs_up.gif

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:39am
post #13 of 113

Bricker,

If you watch, Target will put the Epson NX400 on sale for like 50 bucks! The initial investment will hurt, but boy the fun you will have! I get my supplies (initial ink cartridges and frosting sheets) from kopykake, but there are alot of other companies out there. I needed to add ink, and found that it was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to buy the refills, than to buy replacement cartridges.

I just did a Chamber of Commerce mixer late this summer. There was a ranch here that wanted to get their name out for weddings, etc, so I did cookies with the ranches logo on them. I got ALOT of feedback on not just the taste of the cookie, but moreso on the logo on the cookie. I only lightly glazed the cookie, then put the logo on.

If you can see a picture, you can print it out and put it on anything.. cookies, cakes, brownies, chocolates, etc etc etc. Your limits are only as limited as your imagination.

Other than my decorating classes, this was probably the BEST investment I have made thus far.

ps..I'm making flames next week for the sides of a harley cake. icon_biggrin.gif

bricker Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:44am
post #14 of 113

Wow! You guys are making me want to run right out and buy one! It sounds like a good investment plus it adds another dimension to cake decorating!

So....why do some printers have 4 color cartridges and some 5 or 6? Is one better than the other?

When you buy a printer and the icing sheets, do you get any kind of instruction booklet or anything that tells you how to use it?
Do you have to take out the cartridges after each use and clean them?
Do most of the printers have the option of buying refills for the cartridges?
Do the cartridges dry out if not used on a regular basis?
Is it best to buy the printer from an online source as opposed to, say, Staples?

Sorry I have so many questions!

You all are so helpful, this is the best site!!
bricker

Melvira Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:57am
post #15 of 113

You definitely should get one! I am a huge advocate for edible images. I'm telling you, I've cornered the market on that sort of thing around here because no one else does it. I love it! People love to see personalized things, so this is just a great way to really please your customers! Let me handle the questions in an organized way here...

1.  Color cartridges: Every color printer is going to have 4 basic colors; Black, Red, Blue, Yellow. (The red is really more of a pink, its usually called magenta). Photo quality printers will also have 2 extra cartridges with a different shade of photo cyan (blue) and photo magenta. Honestly, printing on frosting sheets, the print quality isnt going to be as sharp as a photo on photo paper, so getting a photo printer is not necessary. Nothing wrong with getting that style if you find a good one on sale, but its not necessary if you can find a cheaper one. Some of the really fancy printers can have up to 8 cartridges and that is total overkill. You will never need anything that complex to get a good quality print.

2.  Instructions: You do not really get a set of instructions, but its just as easy as using a regular printer. I might even have the directions that I sent to someone else still saved on my machine, I could send it to you, or I can retype it for you its super easy! Just let me know if you need something like that and Ill happily post it.

3.  Cartridge removal: You do NOT need to remove cartridges and /or clean them after each print. It is a good idea to do perhaps a monthly cleaning, depending on how much you use them. If you get a starter kit from Icing Images you will get the ink cartridges, some paper and a set of cleaning cartridges.

4.  Refills: I always use the refill kit that you can purchase, it is SO much cheaper. Be aware of whether the printer you choose has chipped printer cartridges. They are more expensive and may require a chip resetter. As far as I know, most printers will be able to utilize the 'bulk refill' kit, but I cannot swear to that. Like I said, 'chipped' cartridges may or may not work that way. I'd avoid them if they don't because new cartridges are a lot more expensive than the refill option.

5.  Dried cartridges: I have never had any problems with cartridges drying out, even when the printer hasnt been used for weeks at a time, HOWEVER, they suggest if you are not going to use it for a little while, remove and re-cap the ink cartridges. (They come with little orange caps dont throw them out!) I have never done that, but I guess I like to live dangerously! Haha. If you do get a print head that dries out, you can swab it with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol and it should bring it right back to life.

6.  Where to buy: You cannot go to a place like Staples and purchase edible inks. Online retailers are most likely your only option. A printer for edible images cannot ever have regular ink in them. That would contaminate it and make it unsafe to eat any print that comes from it. I am even a little sketchy on whether its really ok to use a refurbished printer. I say, since you can get new ones fairly cheaply, just go that route.

If I missed anything or raised any other questions, give a shout out and Ill keep my eyes open!!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:22pm
post #16 of 113

Melvira,
You are so awesome to share so much info. You have definitly given me a big green light to go ahead and purchase a printer. Can't wait to get started. Can I ask which printer model you have? There seems to be so many to choose from and you seem very happy with yours.
Thanks!

Melvira Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:52pm
post #17 of 113

My pleasure! I am more than happy to help!

I actually have two printers because I pulled a complete cluster-poo on my first printer one day and had to replace it, but now I think I have them both (cleaned up and) working. thumbs_up.gif

My first printer is a Canon IP6000D. It's a four cartridge model which I picked up for a song online, it does a fine job, have not had any problems with it other than the torture I inflicted upon it with a bottle of refill ink and a very stupid balancing act. icon_redface.gif

My replacement is a Canon MX700. This is a very nice quality machine, but did not cost a fortune. It does great prints and I've not had a single problem with it.

As I have mentioned, I buy my supplies from www.icingimages.com because the owner gave me free advice when I was shopping around for my system back in the day, and never expected anything from me, nor did she try to sell me on a big expensive unnecessary set up. I have such great respect for her honesty and help in that situation, and the products that they have supplied me with have always been high quality at competitive prices, so I am loyal. You of course have to decide who you wish to purchase from on your own set of merits, I'm just sharing my feeling of loyalty. I highly recommend them. icon_biggrin.gif

Again, I say there is precious little to hold you back once you get all the info about edible images. It opens all kinds of possibilities! And it is absolutely fantastic when time is an issue. If you have people that like to pull this last minute stuff... "Oh, I know it's short notice, but is there anyway I could get a cake tomorrow?" With edible images you can do last minute cakes so quickly and easily! I love it.

bricker Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #18 of 113

Hi Melvira,

I was looking at the MX700 online yesterday as well as the Canon IP4700. I sent you a PM today but you probably have not received it yet. After reading your last post I think maybe I should go with the MX700 since you have been so happy with it? Can the cartridges be refilled on this printer? If you get a second could you check out my PM because I did ask you a few questions that I'd love your comment on. Thanks!!!!
bricker

EdibleSupply-Com Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdibleSupply-Com Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:19am
post #19 of 113

If you purchase refillable cartridge then you can refill your MX700 printer.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 12:08pm
post #20 of 113

Melvira...you rock. Thanks for all your kind words. We actually have come out with a newer printer since you purchased and beleive it or not....it is even better than what you have. It uses our Gold Series Cartridges and yes, they are refillable...but you dont have to take the cartridge out of the printer to refill... so no more colorful hands if you make a mistake. (I know colorful hands make for great conversation!) The cartridges are spongeless which gives you more ink, and less clogs and cartridge wear. We have not been able to clog them. This doesnt mean they wont clog, we have been fortunately unsuccessful at this! I would recommend purchasing an ip3600 or an mp560. The only difference is the mp560 has a scanner built in. But if you already have the scanner, look for the 3600 so you dont purchase redunant equipment. Both are made by Canon. If you take Melvira's advice and choose our company, ask for a free sample pack. This contains all our newer icing sheets as well as our NEW chocolate icing sheets (taste great!) and our NEW chocolate transfer sheets (these are used to put the image directly on to the chocolate without an icing sheet). Well good luck...have fun and remember it is easy!

Best of luck

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:05pm
post #21 of 113

WOW so glad to see this topic because I have been considering buying a printer like this. Melvira you have definitely sold me on the idea! I have a question for you though, what is the difference between your MX700 and the new gold seal printer that Debbie mentioned. I looked on her site and looks like the cartriges are cheaper for your brand, but I'm confused; didn't you say it's best to not buy a printer with the chip? When I did a search on icing images site for supplies with the mx700 it showed me refillabel cartriges with chips.
Also, do you find it messy to do the refills like Debbi mentioned? Just wondering if it's worth it to buy the newer version. According to my search for prices the MX700 cheapest price is around $200 and the cartiges and refills are cheaper. However the Canon IP3600 cheapest price is $76(Amazon with my prime free shipping), but the cartriges and ink is more expensive (guessing because it's with 5 cartriges instead of 4?). So, do you think as you said before going with the photo printer such as the 3600 would be an over kill?
I'm so confused now, sorry.

icingimages Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:47pm
post #22 of 113

HI Cakelovincrazy
The mx700 is a unit that has a scanner. It can be used like a copier with out a computer, or you can hook it up to a computer if you choose too. It is the previous version of the mx860 printer. What you need to ask yourself is if you need a unit with a scanner. If you already have a scanner, do not pay extra for a printer with one on it as you are purchasing redundant equipment. So, that being said, once you decide which printer type works best for you, you move on to the next set of questions. If you choose the scanner/printer unit, you would then choose if you need a model that prints up to 8.5x14" without a computer which would be teh mx860, or if printing up to 8.5x11" without a computer would be big enough, which would be the mp560. Both systems will print up to 8.5x14" with a computer and my guess is that you have a computer since you are on Cake Central. So, I would not pay the extra to print an 8.5x14" without a computer. That brings you to a scanner/printer unit which is the Canon mp560 or if you already have the scanner then the Canon mp3600.
Now...Older version printer versus newer versions. The mx700 is an excellent printer and you would not go wrong with any of these choices. But though the gold label ink is a bit more expensive, the quality of the ink is unbeatable. We use spongeless cartridges which give you a bit more ink. The fact that we cant get it to clog...yet, goes a long way. The refills bring the cost per print down dramatically and the gold label cartridges are easy to refill.
I have been in business for 10 years from the horrible 2 cartridge printers that printed 18-20 prints until now and I have never had better ink than with this series. So much so, that I am offierng all my customers who purchased a printer from me to upgrade at a discounted price.
I hope this is helpful to you and that I have been able to clear things up a bit. But you can always contact my office and any one of us will be glad to assist you.

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:14pm
post #23 of 113

Debbie thank you so much for replying, definitely clears up a lot. Well, I do have a computer and a scanner and I don't need to print without a computer, so just so that I'm clear then in your opinion the canon 3600 would be better?
If I purchase the printer through Amazon then the only things I would need to purchase through your store would be the cartriges, icing paper, print head cleaner is that correct? Is that everything I would need to get me started?

icingimages Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:55pm
post #24 of 113

Definately, do not spend the extra money if you do not have to. The only things you need then is ink icing sheets and cleaner. You may need a USB cable, but if you purchase from us, we can get them cheaper then you can, just be sure to ask. If you purchase elsewhere, you will need to pick up the cable. I hope I am helpful to you.
Thanks

icingimages Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:37am
post #25 of 113

Melvira...you rock. Thanks for all your kind words. We actually have come out with a newer printer since you purchased and beleive it or not....it is even better than what you have. It uses our Gold Series Cartridges and yes, they are refillable...but you dont have to take the cartridge out of the printer to refill... so no more colorful hands if you make a mistake. (I know colorful hands make for great conversation!) The cartridges are spongeless which gives you more ink, and less clogs and cartridge wear. We have not been able to clog them. This doesnt mean they wont clog, we have been fortunately unsuccessful at this! I would recommend purchasing an ip3600 or an mp560. The only difference is the mp560 has a scanner built in. But if you already have the scanner, look for the 3600 so you dont purchase redunant equipment. Both are made by Canon. If you take Melvira's advice and choose our company, ask for a free sample pack. This contains all our newer icing sheets as well as our NEW chocolate icing sheets (taste great!) and our NEW chocolate transfer sheets (these are used to put the image directly on to the chocolate without an icing sheet). Well good luck...have fun and remember it is easy!

Best of luck

panoi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panoi Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:48am
post #26 of 113

Thank you all, especially Melvira and Debbie for the valuable advice.

Debbie,
I have a MP560, so all I have to order from you are: the cartridges, sheets and head cleaner?? Do I need the resetter? Anything else I need to make it compatible with your inks?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Thank you,
PN

icingimages Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 12:09am
post #27 of 113

Hi Panoi, you only need the cartridges, the icing sheets of your choice and I do recommend cleaner. Though I havent clogged it, someone eventually will and its best to have it just in case. I would highly recommend our refills. If you go to our site and look at the pictures, you will understand better about how they refill. Its very simple and cost effective.

Also, a note to everyone. We have a lot of new shapes sizes and types of icing sheets available. We have chocolate transfers as well as chocolate icing sheets. If you would like a sample, just give us a call toll free at 1-888-442-4648 and we will be glad to send them out while supplies last.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

panoi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panoi Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:08am
post #28 of 113

Hi Debbie,
Thank you icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I placed a big order today and it's on UPS truck right now icon_wink.gif
super fast shipping from Icingimages!!!!!!!!

Thank you,
PN

icingimages Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 2:40pm
post #29 of 113

Our pleasure. We try to do the best we can as our job is to serve our customers with information as well as getting product to you. If you have any questions, please let me know. I check emails on the weekends as well as evenings and early mornings. I am addicted!

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 3:42pm
post #30 of 113

Is there a difference between the Canon MP560 system that is sold on the Icing Images site and the Canon PIXMA MP560 system sold at Amazon? Would it be possible to purchase the Canon PIXMA MP560 system and separately purchase edible ink from icingimages provided the printer has never been used before?

So many questions....anxious to get my hands on an edible printer...just not sure if it's right for me...I don't print frequently, but I like to have the last minute option if I need certain details on a cake...

Thoughts??????

Thanks in advance...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%