Gift Box Lid

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 12:14am by TPACakeGirl

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 12

My grandmother is turning 89 next week, and I would like to make her a gift box cake with a lid propped open and tissue paper. How would I do that? Does anyone have any step-by-step directions or know of a tutorial?

Thank you

11 replies
jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 12

Hiya I made a shoe box cake (its in my photos) and this is how, sorry it's not a tutorial just a few pointers but hope it helps:

I made a rectangle cake which I cut in half and stacked one on the other to make a deep shoe box shape.

Then in the same tin I made the cake I lined it with cling film and oiled the film then filled one half with Rice Krispie treats. I think I filled just past the half way mark then trimmed it once it was set. This make the lid.

I covered the lid in two coats of fondant as the first one was still a little bumpy.

The tissue paper I made from rolling gumpaste really thinly and frilling the edges a bit like you would a rose petal, then scrunching at one end and gluing on with tylo glue.

I didn't really prop mine open just rested it on the tissue but I assume you would just use a dowel?

I hope this helps in some way and maybe someone else can throw in a few pointers.

Feel free if you have any more specific questions to ask.
Claire

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 12

Happy Birthday to your little Gramlette--how sweet sweet sweet!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 12

I made so far 2 cakes with lids
One of these is
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1490937 and the lid id made with cake. If you want pictures of how I did it just pm me and I'll send them to you (I plan to make a tutorial with them)

The other one is this one
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1272493
And this lid id made of pastillaje (sugar and gelatin mixed, it gets bone stiff) and covered with mmf. Of this one I made a small tutorial here
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6119317
Hope it helps!

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 12

I made this one
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1460513
i just used gumpaste and coloured it.. Then i just covered the cake tin with plastic wrap and a little cornflour and put the gumpaste right on the tin.. I loved it because it had really sharp edges.. and it dries rock hard.. So i just used some dowls to prop it open once on the cake HTH icon_smile.gif

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 12

anamado,
I love your little dog cake ! It is so cute. Thank you so much for posting the tutorial...you explained everything so clearly, especially the box lid. I will have to try this one...too cute to resist !

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 12

Anamado your work is beautiful..and the tutorial is great!! thank you for sharing...icon_smile.gif

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKristy

anamado,
I love your little dog cake ! It is so cute. Thank you so much for posting the tutorial...you explained everything so clearly, especially the box lid. I will have to try this one...too cute to resist !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi-Tutty

Anamado your work is beautiful..and the tutorial is great!! thank you for sharing...icon_smile.gif

Thank you! icon_redface.gif It means a lot to me that you liked it. I aim to be helpful icon_smile.gif

TPACakeGirl Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you guys so much. I think this will help get me going. Does "cake tin" mean the pan the cake is made in?

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 12

Yep sure does icon_smile.gif I just flip the pan over cover in plastic wrap and off you go!

TPACakeGirl Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:14am
post #12 of 12

How long does it take to harden so that I can put it on the cake? Is this easier than making a cake lid?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%