2 Tiered Cake?

Decorating By King-Girlz Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm by King-Girlz

King-Girlz Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,
I am new to Cake Decorating and was thinking of making a 2 tiered cake with fondant. Not quite sure what cake pans should be used? 10 inch with 8 inch? or 9 inch with 6 inch? What sizes normally go together? Any suggestions would be great!!
Do you need to have any support on the bottom cake before the top on is placed on? Do you fondant the 2nd cake after it is on top of the first?
Thanks!

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 5

Fondant each tier individually then stack.

Put supports in the bottom tier to hold up the top tier.

I like a three inch difference in tier sizes 9x6, 8x5, 13x10x7--stuff like that.

A two inch difference makes a more towery looking cake but since Wilton only sells the even sized pans that's often the norm. But acquiring the odd sized pans is an idea for you if you decide to really get into this.

A four inch difference, 10x6, 12x8 is also common.

Give yourself plenty of time to do this. More than you think you'lll need.

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 5

I like the four inch difference between tiers. I use a 10" and 6" most often. The size of your tiers will be determined somewhat by the number of servings you need though.

The top cake needs to be sitting on a cake circle and then you will need dowels in the bottom tier. Probably 4 dowels...I like to use the hollow plastic ones because they're easier to cut than wooden ones and look cleaner in the cake. If you are going to take the cake anywhere once it's stacked, you need a center dowel too...for that you would want to use a wooden one and sharpen one end, which you'll drive through the stacked cake and into the bottom board to keep the layers from shifting.

Put the fondant on the cakes before they're stacked. Put the dowels in the bottom tier after the fondant is on.

j_arney Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 5

I like a 2 or 3" difference. I feel like a 4" difference can make the cake look a little squat. Like it's wider than it is tall. If you already have 8 and 10" pans, go with that. It should be nice!

King-Girlz Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much. I have 2 10 inch pans right now. Overwhelming in the store when trying to decide what to purchase! Thanks for your replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%