Fondx Vs Bakel's

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 12:23pm by cags31

Elise87 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:00am
post #1 of 12

So i know there are lots of topics about what's the best fondant and i have read them but alot of them are with fondants i can't get over where i am.

So i need help between only 2 choices, neither i have worked with:

1. Fondx
2. Bakel's (Pettinice)

My questions are: Is either very soft or are they slightly firmer and easier to work with and do they taste good?

I need to know cose i am looking at buying a large tub of white of one them and need help cose i don't want to buy the wrong one. OH...and around about how long do they last stored in their tubs?

Many thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Normita Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:09am
post #2 of 12

I have never tried Bakels but I have heard that Jennifer Dontz does an amazing and yummy semi-homeade fondant using chocolate and Pettinice. I have tried, and currently use fondx, and I like it. The taste is good and it has a good consistency to work with. The colors pick up well and it is easy to work with, IMO.

Elise87 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:13am
post #3 of 12

Thank-u! All opinions are helpful icon_smile.gif

cuteums Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:15am
post #4 of 12

I use Pettinice. It is easy to work with and tastes ok. The chocolate one is a little stickier, but not too bad. It tastes great - like a tootsie roll. I never tried fondx. I like it so much better than satin ice which always gives me a problem and is too sticky for me.

Toptier Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 12

Fondx is much softer than Bakels/Pettinice. I find Fondx tears easily when picking it up on a rolling pin to transfer to a cake, however if you roll out on vinyl and flip onto the cake it works well. Fondx does smooth beautifully once on the cake, though and gives a nice finish. You do get used to it.

kkitchen Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 12

I tried to cover a 6" and 8" cake with Fondx this weekend and it was horrible. It seemed super soft and had a lot of air bubbles. In my opinion the best fondant I have worked with is satin ice.
I want to try MFF to see how it will works

Elise87 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:29am
post #7 of 12

thanks for the imput guys!

Yeh i was hoping not to get a softer one cose i already can get another one that is alot cheaper that tastes great but my prob was that it get's soft too.

DDiva Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:06am
post #8 of 12

FondX--hands down. I was recently told by an exec at CK Products that the different brands of fondant perform differently in different parts of the country. We LOVE FondX in the South; but it doesn't sell as well in the Midwest. So I think it's probably more important to try all the brands and find the one that works for you. Here, FondX stays firm, yet pliable. Satin Ice (I use their dark colors), gets very soft so if I have to cover a large cake with it I add some FondX. I think it just depends on where you are.

cylstrial Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:46am
post #9 of 12

I have never tried Pettinice, but I want to. Hopefully, I'll get around to that soon.

Melnick Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:59am
post #10 of 12

The Bakels tastes great and is a bit firmer and easier to work with. I have only tried Cake Art and that stuff you can buy at the supermarket. Now that I've tried using Bakels and tasted it, that is all I want to use. Bakels has enough firmness to it too that you can even do some modelling with it. If you live in Brisbane, Kitchenware Plus sells 1kg bags for $10 so you can try it first if you like.

Elise87 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:15pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

The Bakels tastes great and is a bit firmer and easier to work with. I have only tried Cake Art and that stuff you can buy at the supermarket. Now that I've tried using Bakels and tasted it, that is all I want to use. Bakels has enough firmness to it too that you can even do some modelling with it. If you live in Brisbane, Kitchenware Plus sells 1kg bags for $10 so you can try it first if you like.

Oh thank-u! Finally someone tells me that it tastes good cose I havn't been able to get an answer whether it does or not lol

And yeh i'v heard alot of good things about Bakels and how good it is to work with (plus i just found out it doesn't have shortening in it like fondx) but i wasn't sure whether to buy it cose i didn't know if it tasted good or bad and it if tastes decent then that's good. Plus i think i found where i can buy the 1kg bags instead of a huge tub which i would prefer, so i might do that.

cags31 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 12

I also use Bakels on all my cakes and it tastes fine. You can also buy a 7kg box if you need alot. It works out cheaper than the 1kg bags and if stored correctly will last awhile.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%