Cake Border?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm by tigerhawk83

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:59am
post #1 of 7

what cake border do you like to make? Also what's easy?

I typically just make the shell border...but i've used to way too often.
What else can I try?

I havent made fondant balls around the cake yet...those look nice in the theme colors of the cake...though i would have to make more fondant and dont have time for that right now....

6 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:04am
post #2 of 7

I almost always use a #12 tip and make a round border. It's clean and doesn't interfere with the design of the cake.
I think the shell border is too busy.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 7

I do alot of borders with a round tip. Sometimes it's small like a bead borded sometimes it's really stretched.

There was a thread back sometime ago that had tons of borders, I'll look for it but I'm not a great searcher.

I'm lazy so I don't do the fondant balls, I just pipe them. Let them sit a minute an slightly push the tips down.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 7

The reverse shell is one of my favorites. A really well done shell border can be nice. I hate the quickly and sloppily done not-really-a-shell border that ends up on a lot of grocery store cakes. Playing with borders is one of my favorite things to do. So break out that piping bag and tips and create your own! icon_biggrin.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 7

I found the coolest book at my local party store. It is a soley dedicated to borders. Each page has one specific tip category (star, round, etc), then shows many, many different things you can do with it. BTW....86/88 is my favorite tip.
LL

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 7

I like making rosettes - have used #18 tip and #32 tip. I don't do shell border well but I seem to be happier with my rosettes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%