Need Help

Decorating By ElBell Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 3:49am by ElBell

ElBell Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:52am
post #1 of 5

I want to make a cake with my son, however we are unsure of how to complete the idea that we have. The cake will be 5 square tiers, however every other tier will be large and every other tier will be small. This means that the edges of two of the layers will hang over the top of the layer below it. How can I keep the cake from breaking without support under it? We have always made cakes where the tiers get smaller, never larger on top of smaller. Please help!

4 replies
cakenutz Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:12am
post #2 of 5

I would think that a piece of foamcore cut to shape would do the trick and I wouldn't make the bigger no more than 2" larger than the small one and of course don't forget to dowell well so the lower ones can support the larger ones HTH

prterrell Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 5

Well, every tier WILL have to have support under it, in the form of a sturdy cake board. The suggestion above of foam core is excellent.

JenniferMI Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 5

Ditto above advice.

Jen icon_smile.gif

ElBell Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:49am
post #5 of 5

My sons concern is that there will be nothing to hold the larger cake in place. What will keep it from sliding off of the smaller cake below it if the table is bumped? How do you place a rod through the board into the lower layer of cake? (If you google square cakes there are plenty of images of these types of cakes.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%