Questions About Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By agentdorkfish Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 11:15pm by pegalter

agentdorkfish Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

I have searched. I have googled. And I just haven't found the answers that I'm looking for. I'm going to try making a Tinkerbell out of modeling chocolate for my niece's birthday cake next month. I read in one article that you can use gel food colors to color the modeling chocolate since you put the corn syrup in it. Is this true? And I also read in the same article that you can "paint" it like you do fondant. I'm not so sure how reliable this article was.

I was considering ordering some Americolor food pens. Do they work on modeling chocolate?

Also, how long can you keep a figure that's made from modeling chocolate? I'm going to start practicing soon, and if I accidentally make a good one, I'd love to keep it for the cake!

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance your help!

8 replies
tastyart Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 9

I have colored modeling chocolate with gel colors. It works. I can't speak for the painting though, I've never done that.

I have kept modeling chocolate for a very long time(months) in a sealed container in the fridge. I can't see why you couldn't do the same with a finished figure.

Hope someone else can answer your painting question.

agentdorkfish Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:07am
post #3 of 9

Thanks! I'm probably going to start practicing next week. When it comes to cakes, I'm like a kid with a new toy. I just can't wait to try it! icon_lol.gif

CakeDiosa Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:19am
post #4 of 9

I have a Mike Mc Carey "how to" DVD wherein he advises to color modeling chocolate with powdered color (found in the candy section of your local cake supply shop). Just an option...

pegalter Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 9

Modeling chocolate (from white chocolate or coating) can be colored either before modeling by kneading color into it, while making it (add color to the corn syrup in the recipe) or after making the model (paint with a brush and gel food color diluted with a little alcohol.

When painting food decorations, alcohol (white rum is good) is used because the liquid evaporates and leave the decoration dry, not soggy as it would if water were used.

For Tink, I would think painting would provide more choices and be easier to do well than using the pens (which would work but be difficult to keep clean and use on details). The other benefit to painting with a brush is that you could use some lustre dust, which I personally think would be fabulous. A pearl dust would shine her up and make all the colors sparkly, or use specific colors like pearl blue and gold sparkle to effect.

Models keep best in a cool DRY place; I prefer keeping them in cool room temperature rather than the fridge, as condensation when they come out can make them soggy and soft.

agentdorkfish Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 9

Oh my goodness, thank you so much Peggy! When using the alcohol, all of it evaporates, right? I don't want any drunk kids running around! Haha!

And for the pens, I was thinking of just getting black ones to use for the details. Would that work ok? This will be the first time I made a figure out of chocolate.

pegalter Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 9

No, no drunk toddlers - you can use any alcohol based extract, also, if you like, like clear lemon extract. The flavor of whatever you choose will remain, but not the alcohol.

I don't personally know how fine the pen tip is, or how long it remains "pointy" - other than that, it should work fine.

agentdorkfish Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much! You've been a great help! One more quick question. If I keep the figure in an airtight container, but not in the refrigerator, how long will it keep?

pegalter Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 9

It doesn't really go bad! Think tootsie roll...

Quote by @%username% on %date%