Wedding Consultations

Business By sugarandslice Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 7:23am by Bluehue

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #1 of 19

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.
I've got my first ever wedding cake consultation booked tomorrow evening and I need to know what to take with me. They don't want to taste any samples because they already know that they want choc mud cake.
So what else should I take with me? I've never done a wedding cake before (and they know that) so I can't take past cake photos with me.
I don't want to turn up empty handed and look really unprofessional.
icon_redface.gificon_sad.gif

18 replies
HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 19

The pictures of your cakes and cupcake are absolutely beautiful. I have done some wedding consultations. Just a suggestion, take some of your photos for ideas of the things you know you can do. Listen to them as to what they are looking for. Have a sketch pad and pencil. The sketch you draw for them don't have to be a masterpiece, but it eill help you and them to visualize an ideal. Don't forget to ask if they want just a stacked cake or anything with a tier set. These items are additional cost. I also had one or two current bride magazines that had a few cakes. I've learn don't overwhelmed them with too many pictures. I hope they say to you "Just do your thing, what ever you come up with"! HTH
Hammy

sugarandslice Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:33am
post #3 of 19

Thanks Hammy. I do have a few wedding cake magazines that I'll take with me. I've also printed off some of doug's templates to help with sketching.
Can anyone think of anything else?

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 3:13am
post #4 of 19

things to bring:
Calculator
Serving Chart
Price List
Contract
pencil and pen
sketchbook
business cards
Folder to give them with copies of all info
Even though they don't want samples, it would be a great touch to have a small cupcake of mud cake for them to take home.

This will be super fun! Just relax, and enjoy designing. You definitely have a gift, you just need to use it on a bigger scale!
Best wishes!

sugarandslice Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:21am
post #5 of 19

Thanks so much jentreu. Great advice and really nice comments.
Emma

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 19

could someone tell me what mud cake is?? i've seen the name a few times. Thnx!

sugarandslice Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:34am
post #7 of 19

Chocolate mud cake is a very dense, moist, rich chocolate cake.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 19

Make sure you ask if they want the top tier including in the cake that will be eaten. Or if they are going to freeze it. That way you know how much cake to make.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 19

And don't forget your Diary -
Have that little ribbon thing at the right date/page - for when you open it up - looks as tho you are all prepared for *their* day.
Have their names written already on the page.

Something for them to jot down notes on - or to sketch on - incase they wish too.

Wear something smart yet casual and remember - to shake his hand when you say hello - AND HERS (so many women don't do that and i think it shows you know what you are about when conducting a meeting plus good manners never go out of fashion)

Enjoy icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif because your lovely creations speak for themselves Emma.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks cylstrial.
And thanks Bluehue; that's very kind of you to say.

I think I'm all set now for the meeting this evening.

Wish me luck! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 19

good luck, my first consult I did what everyone suggested...she did try some cakes and I brought her a bottle of water too and the plates, forks and napkins...in the end she said it was those details that sealed the deal for her. The other people that came to her for tastings didn't offer anything besides the box of cupcakes.
If I were you, (you probably don't have time now) but I would make some of the mud cake, even though she knows it's what she wants...just as a gesture and also so that she knows exactlly what YOUR mud cake tastes like. Everyones is different, you woldn't want her to come back after the wedding and say "that was NOT mud cake" if her definition is different than yours.
If she's tasted your mud cake before, I'd still give her a little mini cake just as a gesture (if you have time that is)

Bring lots of paper.....oh and don't assume that they'll have a table for you to write at, bring a clip board or notebook, you should be able to work out of your lap if you have to LOL

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 19

Such good timing, I actually came on to post this same question. My first consukt which includes tasting is Saturday afternoon. Looks like I have pretty much what you guys mentioned. Mine is being conducted in my own home so luckily I have everything on hand. Typially how long should we set for this. I was thinking an hour is appropriate to taste samples, look at pictures, etc? Don;t want to keep them here all afternoon but also want to give them time to really express their point of view?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:36pm
post #13 of 19

at least an hour, you might set aside 2 hrs. just in case they're talkers! You can usually get the idea if it's over or not!

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks KHalstead

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:06am
post #15 of 19

So........ how did it go? icon_razz.gif

sugarandslice Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:44am
post #16 of 19

It went really well and I think they're going to hire me.
They are two lovely brides - which I have to admit threw me a tiny bit when I first walked into their house. But what threw me more is that their wedding isn't until Sept next year! I was really looking forward to doing my first wedding cake (still am) but now I'm hoping I get to do one before next Sept.
I did take a couple of mudcake cupcakes (actually had a few in the freezer) topped with ganache and they thought that was a really nice touch. We talked through ideas etc for about 40 minutes, then I wrote up my quote at home and emailed it to them. Still waiting to hear back but I'm pretty hopeful that they're going to give me a go.

Thanks to everyone who responded with advice and encouragement. I think the people on this site are great!!
icon_biggrin.gif

sugarandslice Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:15am
post #17 of 19

Just an update to say that my two lovely brides have decided to go with me and have paid their deposit! Yay, my first wedding cake order.
I've had a few more enquiries for wedding cakes too, so hopefully something will come of those too.
thanks again for all the advice before my consultation.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 6:33am
post #18 of 19

CONGRATULATIONS!! That's fantastic news! (and your never gonna forget your first wedding cake for more reasons than 1! icon_lol.gif )

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:23am
post #19 of 19

Excellant news - like anything in life the first one is always a case of *have i got it together?*

Its onwards and upwards from here . thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%