Give Them A Wedding Cake So They Can Honeymoon To Hawaii

Decorating By VillageSweets Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 1:56am by qubanqtee

VillageSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VillageSweets Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 11

A friend of mine texted me to see if I would make a wedding cake for her son and fiance. She couldn't give my any idea of what they wanted but tiers and needs to feed 300 guests--no sheetcakes either. So I directed her to this website and they found the 2006 all buttercream wedding cake they liked He loves me she loves me. She asked how much for the cake and with 5 layers that they wanted, me having to order all of the pans, making all of the flowers they wanted I quoted $600. Most places around here charge $4 a serving for white cake with buttercream. So they are getting a deal right? She complains it is too expensive calls the fiance and then the fiance says out loud "I suppose I have to have crappy sheetcakes!" I explained that I would have just over $100 in pans and parts to get the cake together and that did not include the cake making materials. I tried explaining that if they ordered a cake similar to feed 300 with 5 tiers they would pay more. Then I was blown away by my ex friends response..."Could you put fake flowers on and charge a lot less, they are paying for it themselves and well they are going to Hawaii for their honeymoon?" In shock I told her we paid for our wedding had cake for 150 and did not have a honeymoon because we couldn't afford it. Why should I give them a huge cake so they can go to Hawaii? It only gets worse since her son and soon to be daughter-in-law are working at a fast food place and get food stamps, housing assistance and free daycare for their son. I almost suggested them selling the plasma screen tv they own as well as the motorcycle, x box, and other stuff that they feel they "need"

I said no so if anyone wants to feel bad and make them a huge cake for free let me know! Sorry to rant but I don't understand people and thinking that cakes should be free--this isn't the first time I have been asked to make a cake as a gift. That is why I stopped making them!

10 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 11

Don't explain yourself or your pricing.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 11

Stand your ground and do not make that cake for any less than you told them. If you change your price at all, be sure it increases.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 11

If for any reason they call you back and want you to do it and they say they'll pay, get ALL the money up front and don't give them any deals,way to go, no free cakes thumbs_up.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 11

Man, that is something else! Some people have alot of nerve, don't they???? Definitely waiting to see if they call ya back! I swear that makes me mad thinking that they are getting all of this free gov't stuff, that I couldn't get as a single, teenaged parent (not that I'd want it when someone needs it more than I did), and yet they can afford all the other stuff and a honeymoon in Hawaii! I have been married for 15 years now and still haven't had a honeymoon. The things people will spend $$ on!!!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant on or hijack your post!! I was just a bit infuriated!!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 11

Your price is your price PERIOD. Take it, or leave it. Friend or no friend. They would not hand over THEIR PAYCHECK to your kids...for working all week...when they get married, would they??? It's the same principal.

Jen icon_smile.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 11

Y'all are right on! They shouldn't expect you to do it free or even cheeper just because they are your friends. In my opinion, a good friend would not ask that either.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 11

Amen tastyart!

People just don't have a CLUE what goes into making a wedding cake! I think, they think...we just magically make them appear icon_smile.gif

I once had my remodeler tell me...my goodness.... you just don't come up (from the kitchen) when you are doing a wedding. I had NO idea what went into making those! See???? NO clue...

Jen icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Don't explain yourself or your pricing.

And that right there is just about all that needs to be said about that!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:46am
post #10 of 11

It would be interesting to know what they thought a non "crappy sheet cake" wedding cost was "suppose" to cost? icon_confused.gif

I'm sure it would make me ask, "And what part of your body did you pull THAT number out of?" icon_rolleyes.gif

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:56am
post #11 of 11

unbelievable! free because they want a honeymoon? um, No!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%