What Is Best Type Ribbon To Use On Wedding Cake

Decorating By Brenda63 Updated 9 Jan 2013 , 8:59pm by SouthernBelle25

Brenda63 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 7

I have been searching for ribbon to put on my daughter's wedding cake. Wedding date Nov. 21. What is the best type of ribbon to put on a buttercream icing cake. The baker did not suggest one. I have been looking for 1" double satin ribbon. Am I going in the right direction. Thanks so much.

6 replies
jammjenks Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 7

Most of the time a 1" ribbon would work just fine. It really depends on the look you are going for. Standard size for cake tiers is 4" tall, so a 1" ribbon will still give you 3" of cake showing. The baker probably didn't give you specifics about the ribbon because he/she wants for the design of the cake to be what you and your daughter want. Opinions vary on these sorts of things, so the size ribbon the baker prefers may not be what you, the client, prefers. KWIM?

Brenda63 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much April. What I was wondering if I should get satin ribbon or some other type of ribbon. I greatly appreciate your help.

jammjenks Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 7

You can use satin ribbon or grosgrain (sp?). Do not get wired ribbon, but other than that any kind will be fine. Most of the time, brides bring me 1" satin ribbon.

Brenda63 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much. You have really helped me. Hugs, Brenda

jammjenks Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 7

You're welcome, dear. Any time. Hope the wedding goes smoothly. thumbs_up.gif

SouthernBelle25 Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 7

Whats the best way to keep the moisture from the buttercream from soaking into the ribbon and leaving a water stain or line?

Quote by @%username% on %date%