Covering Cake In White Chocolate

Decorating By teresacam Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm by dstbni

teresacam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresacam Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 10

what is the best way to cover a cake in white chocolate????

tried a ganache but its to sticky and difficult to spread!!

please help!

9 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 10

Teresa, how did you make your ganache? I actually find ganache so much easier to work with compared to buttercream. I think that is best way to do it--unless you want to use chocolate fondant.

Let us know so we can help.

=]

teresacam Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 10

Hi Rylan... thanks for replying.

I put 4oz white choc in pan and heated... when it was almost boiling, I removed the pan from fire and put in the white choc. It thickened immediately.... and was rather sticky to apply onto cake.

I gave up on it and let it stand... after about 2 hours I tried to apply it again and it wasn't so sticky but still thick.

My question is now: do I add more cream or choc to make it more liquid?

teresacam Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 10

what an idiot i am!!! gave wrong method....

i put 4 oz double cream in pan and heated... then removed from fire and put in the white chocolate which thickened immediately. Must admit the taste is really good and smooth however sticky to apply on cake.

left it a while and about after 2 hours it wasnt so sticky however still thick.

what can i do to make it a bit more liquidy???? add cream or chocolate?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 10

No problem Theresa.

What is the exact ratio you used?

When making white chocolate ganache, I suggest you use a 3:1 ratio of heavy whipping cream to white chocolate. Always measure by weight--so if you are going to use a pound of cream, you will have to use 3 pounds of white chocolate.

I usually let my cream simmer (in low heat) for about a minute before I turn the heat off. Once removed from the heat, I throw in my chocolate. I let it sit for a minute (for the chocolate to melt) and then start stirring it until everything blended well.

Let it sit until it thickens to a peanut butter consistency. I usually let it cool and then pop it in the fridge until firm. If it gets too firm, I just micrwave it every 8 seconds (stirring it everytime it comes out) until I get the right consistency.

Are you looking for poured ganache? something that you can pour on top?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 10

let your ganache set up overnight on the counter and it will be great to spread in the morning

teresacam Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:44am
post #7 of 10

I did use a 1:3 ratio and that is why i thought it might be too thick.

4oz cream and 12 oz choc

is it ok to add the ganache again the next dayicon_confused.gif??

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:46am
post #8 of 10

Jumping in late but...

There are many different "hardness" of ganaches - pouring ganache, frosting ganache, ganache "shell" to use under fondant.

The 3:1 ration produces a ganache that is very firmly set. The texture is like that of a milk chocolate bar - the good European, creamy and smooth milk chocolate, that is. I find it too firm as stand alone frosting. It's like a candy shell.

If you want a white chocolate ganache that remains soft and creamy like frosting, you need to reduce the proportion of chocolate to cream. I make mine using 2:1 or 2 1/2:1 white chocolate to cream, depending on the brand of chocolate I'm using. This sets up really well but remains soft and creamy.

Oh and you didn't say if you used real white chocolate/white chocolate chips or compound white choco. Makes a big difference in taste & texture. Chips or compound need even less cream.

Other things:
1. Boil cream but bring it down to a simmer before adding chocolate. If the cream is too hot the chocolate can separate leaving a heavy mass with an oily layer.
2. Don't stir too much once chocolate has melted, for the same reason as above.
3. I let it set on the counter overnight and not in the fridge. BUT I have a cold kitchen and that makes it possible to set. If your kitchen is warm, the 2:1 proportion will probably need some fridge time.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 10

Once your cream has come to the boil - and you have carefully added your chocolate stir it for a minute or two - then if you have a stand mixer (ie Kitchen Aid or that kind of mixer) gently turn the mixer on and whip the mixture.

After a minute or two you can increase the speed and *whip* it.
You can continue to whip it for 5 minutes or so.

Once whipped - allow to cool covered with a clean cloth - just left to sit on your bench.

Once cool you can then use it to torte/fill your cake - or dollop it onto your cake and with a spatular - smooth it over to cover it.

As long as it isn't 100C in the shade - icon_wink.gif - your ganache will be fine to stay on your bench for a day or two as the cream changes its structure once bought to boiling point.

You can use the hot ganache to pour over your cake - as long as your cake has settled (if filled with something else) and is cold.

As Rylan above said- i too love working with ganache - and it is by far the most popular filling here in Australia and to cover a cake with before applying an outter covering of fondant/medium.

You can add a drop or two of a liquere or a few drops of a flavoured oil if you wish to add another flavour to it.

I use the pouring/torting and coating method using the same recipe for ganache = 3:1 ratio

Bluehue

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the tips everybody!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%