How Early Is Too Early?

Decorating By Cakerer Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm by Cakerer

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 4

How early is too early to cover a cake in MMF.....cake is to be delivered Saturday afternoon but I'd like to finish Friday evening so I don't have to be a mad person Saturday a.m.

Cake is white choc with buttercream filling and icing with MMF. Nothing elaborate but large....so just wondering.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

3 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 4

I am almost always done covering a fondant cake on a Friday eve for Saturday delivery. Maybe the decos aren't done, but the cake sure as heck is already covered.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 4

LMAO at your signature Jamie icon_biggrin.gif

if a cake hasnt a perishable filling and you know your cake recipe and how long it lasts then its really up to you. if i have a cake being picked up on Saturday for that night for a party for example i might have it covered on wednesday or thursday night. this changes if your using fruit filling or cream cheese etc but this is just my receipes and my english buttercream i.e. just sugar and butter - i have no milk or anything perishable so as far as my customers have told me my cakes are good for at least a week after ive covered them (some customers really have a problem cutting cakes or keep pieces for as long as possible - some even said 2 weeks after i made them!) - one thing i make sure and do is brush with sugar syrup before i fill and crumbcoat so th cakes stay really moist no matter how long people keep them icon_smile.gif

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the input! I'm always one of those that likes to cover the cakes at the last possible minute but I want to be as 'unstressed' as possible that day. I hope to have it covered by noon on Friday - only thing left will be the bows icon_smile.gif.

Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%