Bulge Around Bottom Of Tier When Using 1/2" Foamcore

Decorating By karensue Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 2:03pm by karensue

karensue Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 12

For the life of me, I can't figure out the solution to the bulge I get at the bottom of my tiers right above the top edge of the 1/2" foamcore board I use as separators. It's not there when I finish smoothing -- shows up later, so I'm thinking it has to do with the fondant stretching/settling for some reason. I level, fill and let settle overnight, so am pretty sure it's not the cake settling. I roll my fondant between 1/8" and 1/4" -- probably closer to 1/8". I'm thinking of changing to the 3/16" foamcore for my separator boards instead of the 1/2" just so whenever I do a pearl border, I can still hide that bulge. How many of you use the 3/16"? Any problems with stacking and transporting?

Thank you for your insight.

11 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 12

I always use the 3/16". I use the 1/2" for the bottom board if I happen to have some, otherwise I use two pieces of 3/16" glued together.

Do you have a picture of the problem that you're having?

karensue Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 12

I'll see if I can find one. I usually take the pics when the cake is finished -- and the bulge is hidden. icon_wink.gif

karensue Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 12

I guess I do a pretty good job of hiding that bulge because this is the only pic I could find where I could see it. But it's pretty clear on this cake.

Thank you for taking the time to take a look at my challenge.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 12

If you're using 1/2 board, you ned to ice beyond the edge of that piece of foam core. You are using it as your guide when smoothing right? So when you actually put the fondant on your cake, it is smack against the side of the board and not icing, like the rest of the cake has. Is this true? If it is, you need to be icing on a larger board, for your guide, so the foam core board your cake is on is inside of your final icing coat. I hope that made sense.

karensue Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks, Jamie. Yes, I do use the board as my icing/smoothing guide. So if I understand you correctly, if I use an 8" board for my 8" tier, I should use another board, say 8 1/8", for my icing guide underneath the board that is attached to the cake. I don't like to put more than 1/8" to 1/4" buttercream underneath the fondant, but I need to make sure that there is some buttercream over that foamboard, correct?

grandmom Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 12

Sugarshack Sharon shows in her videos to cover the edge of the cake board, whatever it is, with icing (or ganache) to avoid this problem. I think in her fondant video she tells us to cut the board a bit smaller and fill in around it with really stiff buttercream, so stiff you could roll it into a ball.

karensue Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for your suggestion, "grandmom." I've thought of doing that, but it's so nice to have that board the full size of my tier with icing when it comes time to stack. When I've iced beyond the board, I always seem to mar that bottom edge so easily when putting the tiers together. I have her video, so I'll take another look at it.

sugarshack Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #9 of 12

yep. I cut the 1/2 inch fomecore a tad smaller than cake and fill in gap with super stiff BC. crumbcoat whole thing and when u cover with fondant u cannot see any lines or marks. i flash freeze the tiers for 10 minutes before i stack, and it comes out clean with little damage.

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:00am
post #10 of 12

I don't use 1/2 inch foamcore for "tier" boards--only for decorative bottom boards.

I use 3/16th inch for my tier boards, cutting them to the size of the bottom of the pan. The cake always shrinks a bit after cooling, so once on the board, it's a bit smaller than the board. I ice with buttercream to the edge of the board and OVER it, barely covering the cut foamcore. I put the fondant on and cut it flush to the bottom of the board.

I don't have a problem with that type of line. The cake below was borderless, and as you can see, you can't see where the cake ends and the board begins.

CakeDiosa Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:04am
post #11 of 12

Sharon is so sweet....even if you didn't have her DVD she just gave it to ya'! That's why I love her!

I do as she says but have forgotten the stiff BC when cutting smaller than the cake......no wonder I've gotten the foam core to show through a couple of times too!

Glad I read this post. Time for some remediation and to review my Sugarshack DVDs.

karensue Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:03pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you all. I have a small birthday cake coming up and will give your suggestions a try. I'll let you know how it works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%