Fondant And Icing?

Decorating By lovetoeatcake Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 7:10pm by JenniferMI

lovetoeatcake Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 5

Complete newbie, can anyone tell me are they the same thing? Thank you kindly

4 replies
jardot22 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 5

Fondant is one form of icing. There are many types of icing, such as butter-based buttercream, shortening-based buttercreams, meringue (or egg) based buttercreams, or whipped icings. Take a look at the recipe section and you will see all shorts of different types of icing. But fondant is the type that you can roll out like dough. I hope this helps!

lovetoeatcake Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you Jardott I understand this now.

Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 5

It depends where you are from, In the uk, we dont call fondant fondant, we call it icing (usually)

JenniferMI Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 5

Fondant in the US is like a sweet sugar dough that covers cakes. The cake can have a regular layer of frosting under it or a thin coating of something to make it stick to the cake.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%