Bulk Cake Mixes

Decorating By cinderella75 Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm by KHalstead

cinderella75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderella75 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 8

I have been using duncin hines and was wondering what other options are available in bulk that taste really good? does anyone have a favorite?

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 8

Indydebi and other members order their cake mixes from Wal-Mart by the case as it's less expensive and yields a tastier cake than the 50# mixes that only require water (instead of water, eggs and oil).

Believe you have to place an order with the manager or assistant manager of that dept. in the grocery section. Or you can just clean out their shelves!

HTH

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 8

A lady that I used to work for told me that years ago you could get BettyCrocker cake mixes in bulk boxes. She said she's searched for years and I think even contacted BC, they are no longer available.

I bought a commerical cake mix once, I threw it out, didn't even bother baking it. I sampled it after mixing, I know bad, but it wasn't worth that engery to bake.

If you find something that's good, I'd love to know. Soemtimes I go to buy my stash of BC and they'll be out. I then haven't to drive about 30 minutes to another grocery store.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 8

have they reduced the volume of cake mixes during this whole recession? For some reason it seems like when I buy BC or Pillsbury (which I always have used) they aren't baking up as high! Normally I use 2 mixes with 2 boxes of pudding in a 11"x15" pan and it bakes all the way up and makes a nice 1 1/2" -2" high sheetcakes....lately they've only baked up barely an inch! When I buy the generic mixes from Save a Lot, they bake up a full 2 inches and actually I have to push them down to the level of the pan when they come out of the oven because they bake more than 2" in the center.

Katie-Bug Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 8

I haven't really noticed a difference with my BC's, but I may have just not noticed.

I've been thinking of trying the Save Alot brand, are they compariable to the BC?

KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 8

I really can't tell a difference honestly and they bake up so much higher! They're actually more expensive though LOL they're .99 each and I get BC for .88 at Wal-Mart...but like I said the last couple months I've had better luck with Save A Lot brand.

Katie-Bug Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 8

My Save-Alot mixes are .69 and BC is 1.17. I'll be trying some next time I'm there stocking up on powdered sugar and cream cheese.

Thanks!

KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 8

our Save a Lot used to be really cheap, but then the other main grocery store closed down and Save a lot has the market so they jacked all their prices....kinda sneaky if you ask me, but what are you gonna do?? You still can't beat their prices normally at Wal mart and wal mart is 30 min. away, so the amount I save on gas doesn't usually make up that extra .10, but if I need to go for something else, I'll stock up on mixes but like I said, haven't been having good luck...been having to add half a mix more or use the extender recipe when I make them to get them to raise to the right level!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%