Help With Diamond Impression Mat

Decorating By jayla Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 2:56pm by ninatat

jayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayla Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:25am
post #1 of 8

Help Please!!!!
Everytime I use the diamond impression mat, it sticks to my cake. My imprint looks aweful. Also the mats has gotten gummed up a little. They are very hard to clean. Any tips to keep it from sticky to icing? I thought about adding more sugar to my bc.

The cake is bc not fondant. I have to use it on a wedding cake coming up soon. Also what should I use for the pearls?

Thanks

jayla

7 replies
lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 8

I'm no expert, but I've used it a few times.

Put some cornstarch in a new clean knee-hi, icon_rolleyes.gif , and pounce that on the mat. After using, wipe with paper towel, then pounce again.

I've never had mine stick, so I hope that helps!!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 8

I use mine on butter cream, I sprinkle mine with powder suger and sometimes I rub mine very lightly with crisco (very lightly) and use the powder sugar
I fill my sink with soapy hot water and let my mat sit wash then rinse

Molly

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 8

The pearls can be purchased from cake specialty stores. I got mine from GlobalSugarArt.com, but I've also seen them in a local specialty shop here in VA. I don't believe Michael's or ACMoore carries them.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18524&name=White%20Dragees-4MM#

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 8

I have made my own pearls, a tedious procedure but effective. I make them out of fondant, as the first ones I ever made I used gumpaste and was afraid someone might break a tooth! Taking a small portion at a time, roll it out about 1/4" thick. Then punch out several discs using a drinking straw. (You can vary the size by the thickness of the fondant or the diameter of the straw--Jack In The Box makes a nice fat one). You can also use round piping tips as your cutter. Roll them around in your palm with the index finger and then drop into a small container in which you've placed a small amount of pearl dust. It is easier to purchase them ready-made, but I sit and watch TV while making pearls and it goes fairly fast. If I need swags or ropes, I use a pearl maker which is a press that makes several connected. They can be purchased at cake supply stores or online and come in various shapes and sizes.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 8

I put my impression mat in the dishwasher, and it comes out fine. When using it I dust it with a little cornstarch and knock off the excess. I have only used it with fondant or a crusting BC. Not sure what might happen if you try to use it with a non-crusting BC.

jayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayla Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 7:27am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all the replys and tips. I will try it next week.

You guys are so helpful

jayla

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 8

i purchased the plastic impression but it to hard for one person to hold for bc, i probably use the rubber ones's?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%