Seeking Advice

Business By laurs_1981 Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 11:29pm by KitchenKat

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 9:56pm
post #31 of 34

besides that....your customer should be able to claim it on his/her taxes....I agree with KHalstead with the added amount for packaging....and the way it's worded too!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #32 of 34

perfect example!! Thank you Jaime! http://www.cookiesbydesign.com/christmas-gift-baskets/merry-christmas

let's take this arrangement for instance, it has 7 cookies yours will have 35, so that's the equivalent of 5 of these arrangements(they are 59.98 each with 7 cookies and the custom container) or $11, 996.00 !!!

Oh yes, you read that right........almost 12,000 dollars!! You're charging barely 2,000!!

I know a deal when I see one and so will this lady!!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I do NOT understand either your logic or your general thinking.

If you sold 35 cookies to 40 DIFFERENT customers, you probably wouldn't have a problem with your pricing.

Just because it's the same person making the bulk purchase you think it's ridiculous?

That's pretty insulting to your client. You're saying they don't have the budget for the project they're planning; or implying that you yourself don't think you're worth your prices and they perhaps should question their judgment of choosing you as their vendor. Either way you've just insulted your client.

"The price for your custom cookie order with custom packaging will be $1750. I'm sure your clients will be pleased with your gift. Are you ready to sign a contract for the purchase now?" is ALL you should say.

If you're going to be in business, this is precisely the type of order you want.

And frankly if they're asking for custom packaging, you need to INCREASE the price, not decrease it.

I once sold $4500 worth of brownies to a corporate client.

Your thinking re: a discount is totally, completely broken.

This is why I love this site!!!! Thanks for an injection of backbone~

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:29pm
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurs_1981

I'm just starting out, and today met w/ a client (my first corporate client) who asked me to make 35 cookies each per 40 "gifts". ...
i work full-time apart from this "hobby"....so i don't have the time to figure out a whole matrix and price everything out....
what is it that the rest of you do?? any advice would be great...thanks

OP if you want to continue with this "hobby" and sell your goodies you need to MAKE time to figure out your costs and pricing. Otherwise how will you know how much your products and your time are worth? We at CC can provide feedback and encouragement but we can't set your prices for you nor for anyone else now or in the future.

The only way to figure out pricing is to sit down and actually compute it. No shortcuts ("I think I want $2 each for these cookies). No pricing by comparison ("ABC charges $5 each so I guess I could charge the same or go a tad lower at $4.50). No pricing with compassion ("I wouldn't pay that much for cookies!"). You're a businesswoman now. Its time to start thinking like one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%