What's Your Experience With These Fondant Brands? Need New

Decorating By cmalin3 Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 1:17am by Sweet_Guys

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 7

Hi all!

Would love everyone's 2 cents on this please...gotta place an order in the next couple days.

I got away from the funky Wilton fondant as soon as I finished their classes but have only tried Satin Ice as an alternative. While I'm pretty happy with it, I'm curious about some of the other brands like Fondarific, Fondx and Choco Pan.

Which ones taste best? Are easiest to work with? Best for adding flavors/coloring?

I know there's never one perfect brand over the rest but I'd like to find one (in this instance) that's especially easy to roll out and cover odd shapes with.

Also - anyone seen cream cheese flavoring? I've got an order for carrot spice cake layered with cc icing, but only basic vanilla for fondant flavor. Just thought there would be something better out there.

Thanks guys! thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:52am
post #2 of 7

I've been wondering the same thing too, so here's a bump for you!

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:05am
post #3 of 7

This is an attachment to an earlier thread answering this very question. Hope it helps. I personally prefer Fondarific. It is really good. The melon and blueberry are my favorite! Albert Uster is delicious but VERY expensive!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-653614-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:20am
post #4 of 7

Many people have tried Fondarific, I personally haven't tried them.

Taste wise, I love Chocopan--especially the caramel flavor. Fondx is also good, I just find it too soft.

Check out Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe (the recipe is in her dvd). I love it and it is very cravable.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 7

Fondarific tastes YUMMY!!!! It is also soft. I recently got a bad batch and they replaced immediately with no questions asked. Great customer service.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 7

I only use Chocopan from the ones you listed....it rolls out great and tastes absolutely wonderful...but I heard that it might not do so well in very hot, humid conditions...but I have never had a problem with it here in the midwest. icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 7

We use Fondarific down here in central Florida along with Satin Ice. The chief reason is that the fondant is self-healing and if torn, can rub back into place really easily. Also, the tastes are incredible and there are SO many flavors. For cake coverings, we would recommend chocolate, vanilla, or buttercream. Vanilla and buttercream can be bought as white or pre-colored for you in a variety of colors, including red and black. Although one poster mentioned melon as a good cake covering (I tried it this morning and it's not too tart), the flavors are good for chocolate fillings, for covering cupcakes, or for decorations. In otherwords, a raspberry filled chocolate would taste good but not necessarily a raspberry flavored cake. We use Satin Ice when we want a marshmallow taste.

As mentioned above, the ladies are incredibly AWESOME to work with. They recently came out with Coffee Mocha and I just received an email last night that they have white-colored peppermint for the holidays.

Sweet Treats, we checked on the Albert Uster product. It is more expensive but because you're purchasing more of it at one time, it works out to be around the same price per pound as Fondarific. Something to think about if you need a different flavor.

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%