Hello I'm New Here.

Decorating By BiteMe Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm by mightydragon663

BiteMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BiteMe Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:34am
post #1 of 19

I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I thought I'd give is a whirl. My name is Helene I'm new to cake decorating. Not to mention this forum.
I am attaching my first picture. Hope this is where I'm supposed to put it. Any words of advise on how to navigate around would be greatly appreciated. So here I go... icon_smile.gif The attached image is a cake I did for my nieces engagement. Her diamond is square. Hence the square decoration on top of the cake. Any comments?
LL

18 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #2 of 19

Welcome to CC, Helene! That is a beautiful cake! I love the white on white. Is it all fondant?

You can create a portfolio of your photos on this site. In the lavendar box on the left-hand side of this screen, click on "my photos." Then, click on "upload picture" inside the purple section under the tabs at the top of the page. Follow the instructions from there, making sure you follow all the guidelines. If it doesn't load the first time, it may be because the file is too large. It must be smaller than 800 pixels to load. Just resize the photo and try again.

Again, welcome to CC, and I'm excited to see more of your cakes!

BiteMe Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 19

Thank you for your kind comments. I would start a portfolio, but it would be rather sad with only one picture in it. icon_lol.gif

letsgetcaking Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:21am
post #4 of 19

That's okay. I started with just one for a long time. Actually, I think I'm up to a whopping 5. icon_smile.gif

I've already learned a lot from this site. My favorite forums are the "How Do I?" "Cake Decorating" and the "Cake Ideas" forums. These are good places to ask specific questions about cake decorating and get ideas for a specific cake. I really like the "Cake Ideas" forum because I feel like I can help people out, even though I'm new to decorating. I think anyone can have creative ideas for a cake, even if they don't feel like they can execute it themselves. (Like me, for example.)

*Another tip: If you find a recipe or photo you really like, click on the heart with "Add to Favorites" next to it. Then, when you're logged in, you'll be able to go back and find what you've saved easily. Just click on "Favorite Recipes" or "Favorite Photos" inside that lavender box on the left.

Enjoy navigating this site. It's a lot of fun and very addicting! thumbs_up.gif

letsgetcaking Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:28am
post #5 of 19

I thought I'd also share a couple of my favorite threads with you:

Best Cake Decorating Tip Ever Received
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-651876.html

Royal Icing Transfer Tutorial
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=648450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15
(just scroll down)

letsgetcaking Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:45am
post #6 of 19

Sorry, one last thing. icon_smile.gif I just sent you a message with some more info. When you have a new message, you will see a flashing yellow rectangle (letter) flashing next to "messages" in the lavender box.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:48am
post #7 of 19

Hi! Welcome to CC!

In your profile, there's a way to enable comments on your photos. Right now the comments are turned off on your cakes...I know because I went to leave one icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 19

This will help you find your way around the forums! It's a list of cake central acronyms.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

BiteMe Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 2:07am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Hi! Welcome to CC!

In your profile, there's a way to enable comments on your photos. Right now the comments are turned off on your cakes...I know because I went to leave one icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for helping me out. I have turned the comments on. thumbs_up.gif I think

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 19

It's BEAUTIFUL!!!

Welcome to CC!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 19

Welcome to CC! Your cake is very pretty! icon_smile.gif

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 19

Welcome to CC NICE CAKE!
Mike

BiteMe Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 19

Wow! Thank you to everyone who commented on my cake. Very inspiring. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that I have spent the better part of the day creeping around the picture forum. There are some pretty awesome cakes etc. out there. I'm going to have to dust off my apron and get to work. I do love a challenge!.
Cheers!

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:41pm
post #14 of 19

Welcome, welcome, welcome Biteme. Your cake is gorgous!

BiteMe Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:52am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

It's BEAUTIFUL!!!

Welcome to CC!

Jen icon_smile.gif

I had a look at your cakes. WOW beautiful.
Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to comment on my cake.
I am VERY new to cake decorating. My first love is graphite art. I draw horses mostly. But this cake decorating has taken me by storm. I hope I catch on. My next big cake will be for my daughters 19th B.D.
She loves ED Hardey and the whole tattoo culture. But not in an ugly way.
I'm trying to come up with something new. But as I am sooooo green at all this I can't guarantee that It'll be a hit.
Can you tell me Jennifer...Does this forum support WIP's (work in progress) I'd be very interested.
Again Thank you.
Cheers

BiteMe Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:58am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Welcome to CC! Your cake is very pretty! icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much Teekakes for commenting on my cake. It is the first truly fancy cake I have ever made. I hope to make more. Cakes are new to me. I have discovered that I truly enjoy decorating them. But I still have to learn how to bake them. LOL. icon_redface.gif
My first passion is pencil art. Mostly I draw equine or portraits. But this whole cake decorating thing is quickly becoming a front runner. My next fancy cake will be for my daughter's 19th BD this December. Wish me luck. I will post the picture if I feel it's up to snuff.
Cheers to you and thank you again for taking the time to comment on my cake.

BiteMe Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:02am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydragon663

How nice of you to take the time to comment on my cake.
Hopefully I will be able to live up to all the beautiful cakes I see here on Cake Central. But honestly, I'm getting a little concerned about my dress size. LOL

BiteMe Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:04am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

This will help you find your way around the forums! It's a list of cake central acronyms.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

Thank you so much. That's gonna be a great help.
Appreciate your reaching out.
cheers

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:37pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydragon663

How nice of you to take the time to comment on my cake.
Hopefully I will be able to live up to all the beautiful cakes I see here on Cake Central. But honestly, I'm getting a little concerned about my dress size. LOL

The only reason I exercise is so I can eat cake.....and cookies. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%