Modeling Medium For Preschoolers

Decorating By Zamode Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 3:26pm by Texas_Rose

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 7

I make cakes for my daughter's school parties and the fondant pieces go over well. Today the school director asked me about it (fondant). I told her I would make a big batch for the kids to play with for holiday decorations but didn't think until after I left that the fondant might be too messy to work with by having to have something--cornstarch or confectioner's sugar--to roll it out. What would be best to use, homemade fondant--regular or MMf--gumpaste or pastillage? What about mold growing later on?

Also isn't there something some of you use as a rolling mat that you can get from the craft or hardware store?

Thanks for any help!

6 replies
audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 7

I have used it in some Special Ed classes. They rolled it out on parchment paper and used cookie cutters. Some made free-form figures and shapes. We used powdered sugar. It was messy - but lots of fun. The students took their creations home and I would imagine ate them. My grandchildren have also injoyed the "candy clay". I used MMF. It was cheaper and easy to explain what it was made with.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 7

I would recommend MMF. My nephew and niece could prepare it themselves (the older was 8 yo). When it hardens it holds as well as gumpaste.
As for rolling mat - buy piece of clear, heavy vinyl sheet by yard in craft (or sewing supplies) store. I use it myself, it works as well as special mats, perhaps even better.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 7

My 4 year old loves playing with the MMF. It keeps him busy while I work on cakes and he makes flowers for me using my cutters. Plus he likes eating it. haha

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 7

Vinyl sheet, that's it! Thanks for all your replies ladies!

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 7

I've also used place mats from the dollar store.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 7

If it doesn't need to be edible, how about salt clay? The kids could make ornaments from it and then you could bake them. It's not sticky and it's safe if a kid happens to put some in their mouth (they never eat more than one tiny piece icon_biggrin.gif it tastes too bad) and it doesn't need special surfaces to roll it on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%