Writing On Gumpaste

Decorating By wildwolves Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 1:46am by wildwolves

wildwolves Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 10

I have a graduation cake coming up and the client wants a scroll on the top with congratulations, the clients name and the year on it.. I have not really written on gumpaste before... I have some food colour pens that i could use.. does anyone have any ideas on how to get nice writing on there??
What does everyone else use to write on cake?
Thanks in advance for any advice! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
audreygb Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 10

personally i would go with the pens unless you are good at piping with royal icing, or the tracing techique in the planet cake book

kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 10

You could find the font you like on the internet and print it out to follow or make into an frosting sheet image (glue to the gp).
I just use non-toxic, fine-line, felt-tipped pens.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 10

A tutorial I put together, sorry the example pictures of work I've used this for are not in my pics anymore. If you want more help, or want an example, PM me.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6478614-.html#6478614

grandmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 10

I need to write on gumpaste this week also, but I've already cut out my gumpaste scroll and planned to write on it freehand with Americolor gel after the gumpaste dries. Will that work?

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 10

Absolutely! The drier the better, I say. My food pen catches on fresh GP, so I do like to wait until it is dry.

wildwolves Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 10

Jamie that is a great tutorial and a perfect way to get the writting on the gumpaste! Thankyou so much!! I'm making the scroll today to i should be able to write on it by thursday.. I love CC!!

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:13am
post #8 of 10

Since nobody will be eating the gumpaste, you could write on it with a nontoxic marker...like a Crayola. They're much cheaper than the food color pens and the thin ones have a nice fine point. It helps to let it dry first icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:10am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Since nobody will be eating the gumpaste, you could write on it with a nontoxic marker...like a Crayola. They're much cheaper than the food color pens and the thin ones have a nice fine point. It helps to let it dry first icon_biggrin.gif

I use so many things that are non-toxic on some cake decos that aren't going to be eaten, some people in here would have a heart attack at the list of stuff. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

wildwolves Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:46am
post #10 of 10

Jamie glad u said that.. i use some non toxic things on some of my cakes as long as they are not going to eaten icon_smile.gif i always advise the client before hand as well icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%