Tier Sizes For 300 Servings..

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm by doodledo

HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 12

Got a phone call today from a MOB and she gave me a rough idea and wanted me to email her a price estimate. Her daughter thought about doing a 5-tier cake, with the bottom being a dummy and she wants to keep the top tier. Now here's the kicker, they are planning for 300 people (they said anywhere from 250-300 but wanted to plan for 300). Plus, the bride is only 5' tall, and wants a cake taller than her, like her sister had (who is also 5' tall) nine years ago. All stacked, round, no columns and no satellites.

Well unless I do huge tiers, I don't see how I can get her 300 serving with no bottom and no top tier. I'm going to let her know that it won't be any cheaper to do a dummy bottom tier, and that if she wants 300 servings she's going to need it. But still, 16", 14", 12" and 10" will only get her 272 servings. Should I try to talk her down from 300 servings? I know that's taking money away from me, but I just don't know. Maybe another 10" cake in the kitchen?

11 replies
catlharper Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 12

What about doing a larger bottom dummy tier then 4 "barrels" then the other tiers? Gives you more cake and a distinctive look. And, yes, I would make it clear that a dummy tier costs the same and she might as well have cake instead. If they did this a few years ago hopefully she's aware of the cost? That's gonna be one pricey cake!

HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

What about doing a larger bottom dummy tier then 4 "barrels" then the other tiers? Gives you more cake and a distinctive look. And, yes, I would make it clear that a dummy tier costs the same and she might as well have cake instead. If they did this a few years ago hopefully she's aware of the cost? That's gonna be one pricey cake!

But the bride wants single tiers stacked icon_smile.gif I don't know if she found a picture she likes or what, but she was pretty specific. And I hope she doesn't expect it to be cheap, because she's also talking a 3-tier chocolate candy bar groom's cake! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 12

I am doing a 6, 8k, 10, 12 square stack in December with two 6" and 10" square stack cakes on both sides of the main one. So three cakes alltogether. Gonna be fabulous. Oh, serves 294 in total. Don't know if you want to decorate 3 separate cakes, but it's an idea.

indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 12

Why do they want a dummy cake on the bottom? Do they THINK they can get 300 servings in just 3 tiers? do they have any idea on how to construct a wedding cake, how many servings they get from each tier? Or are they just pulling numbers out of certain parts of their body?

I'd just tell them we can't do 300 servings in 3 tiers. we don't need the dummy tier to make the cake taller. A 6/8/10/12/14/16 serves over 300. (12+24+38+56+78+98 = 306-ish).

I think they are just the typical cake civilian who got an idea in their head and have no idea if it will work or not. As the cake pro, it now becomes your job to give 'em a big sigh and explain what WILL work for them. thumbs_up.gif

HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 12

Yeh, I let her know unless she wants a 45" cake, she can't have 300 servings in 3 tiers icon_smile.gif I wrote down options which included a kitchen cake (ack) and then also a small, seperate cake for the couple to keep for their anniversary so that they can cut all 5 tiers. I wouldn't be surprised if they had 300 people though, I did the bridal shower cake and it fed 250 icon_eek.gif

Deb_ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 12

How about offering her a gift certificate for a 6" simply decorated cake on their 1 yr anniversary? I offer my couples this as an alternative to freezing the top tier and most of them choose the certificate.

leah_s Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 12

I'd do a 6/8/10/12/14/16 which will give 311 servings. And 6 tiers is even more impressive than 5. Even if she doesn't serve the top, she's close enough to 300.

HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 12

Well I sent her all that info (including some of what you girls suggested) and she replied with, "Excellent."

So who knows, we'll see icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'd do a 6/8/10/12/14/16 which will give 311 servings. And 6 tiers is even more impressive than 5. Even if she doesn't serve the top, she's close enough to 300.

I have a 5 tier this weekend, and I am soooooo adding a teeny little 4" round to the top so I can say I did a 6 tier! icon_lol.gif

HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 12

I've so got to get some 16" pans. 14" is the largest I have icon_smile.gif

doodledo Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 12

Sorry to jump on your thread. But I have a wedding for 300 also, but thank God she doesnt want a tiered cake thumbs_up.gif . I was planning on doing (all 2 layers) 2-12, 3-10, 3-8 and 1 -6 for them to take home. Am I figuring correctly?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%