From Scratch Or Store Bought?

Decorating By Derekkest Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 10:27pm by Pookie59

Derekkest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derekkest Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 26

Ok, so I have always been a pastry, cookie, extremely goooooooooey type of in my house baker.

Recently I made a cake for a neighbors family re-union and had a blast doing it. So now I am on a cake making binge and having a blast.

My neghbors are going to be plump for Thanksgiving icon_wink.gif

But my question is basicly this.....I have two recipies I used for the cakes, one chocolate and one white.

Do most of you make your cakes from scratch or do you nuy your mix from the store? Just curious icon_smile.gif

25 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 26

I make all mine from scratch. I think cake mix cakes taste gross.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 26

I use both plus I have made cakes 'from scratch' using the same ingredients that are used in cake mixes.

This of course when 'from scratch' means measuring out each of your ingredients one at a time and not using a boxed cake mix--just using similar ingredients.

icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 26

I've tried using a doctored mixes before but I now stick to my own recipes--only because I have perfected them.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 26

I do both scratch & mix, but mostly doctored DH cake mixes. They taste amazing and are never dry. There are some cakes that you really need to do from scratch but basic chocs & whites, go with a mix.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 26

Based on a test test I did with a bunch of friends, I mostly do doctored mix cakes. For some recipes they didnt find much of a difference between the scratch and the doctored cakes and for some the doctored was much better. So I figure the doctored ones are so much easier and do well amongst my friends so i do what lengthens my years icon_biggrin.gif ! I never do a cake straight from a mix - always doctored.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 26

If I'm doing a cake for a big event, I prefer to bake from scratch. But if I'm just doing a dessert cake to take along to a dinner, I can be found to use doctored boxed mixes.

By scratch or mix, the cake is only as good as the person baking it, don't you agree?

If you like working with boxed mixes, try using the WASC recipe with them. You can even omit the almond extract if you wish. Lots of people swear by the WASC recipes, and many people sell them as part of their product line, so they must be good.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 26

Has anyone else noticed that much of the time, the scratch vs. mix threads are started by newbie posters and it's always their first post? Just noticing...

Derekkest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derekkest Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Has anyone else noticed that much of the time, the scratch vs. mix threads are started by newbie posters and it's always their first post? Just noticing...

Everything you do starts with the basics. Unless you have a solid foundation to work with, then nothing else comes into place icon_smile.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 26

Scratch vs. Mix and pricing questions never get old to me. There is always some new, interesting point of view.

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekkest

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Everything you do starts with the basics. Unless you have a solid foundation to work with, then nothing else comes into place icon_smile.gif

Hahaha, you should do a search on the forums for other scratch vs. mix threads. You'll see why I mentioned the bizarre coincidence of this topic always being the first post of the newbie poster (or trolls, whcihever they happen to be.)

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 26

Scratch. I like the whole mixing and prepping and creating the cake as much as the decorating. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I've tried using a doctored mixes before but I now stick to my own recipes--only because I have perfected them.

icon_cool.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:49pm
post #14 of 26

Scratch here.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:52pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Scratch here.

Where???? you have pics??? icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Scratch. I like the whole mixing and prepping and creating the cake as much as the decorating. icon_smile.gif

ok first I want to say YAY JAMIE'S BACK!!!!!...... I just couldn't figure out how to pronounce that other name. icon_confused.gif

On the whole scratch vs mix I agree with Costumeczar......there are way too many of these threads on the forums if you use the search feature chances are at least a million of them will pop up. icon_razz.gif

Just in case you're keeping score......scratch all the way for me.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 26

Lol! D, glad you didn't say "scratch me all the way"...hahahahahaha!!!

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:00pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:

Scratch here.

Mike

LOL!

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:00pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

On the whole scratch vs mix I agree with Costumeczar......there are way too many of these threads on the forums if you use the search feature chances are at least a million of them will pop up. icon_razz.gif

along with "how to make black/red buttercream/fondant" icon_biggrin.gif

i sincerely think there needs to be a "newbies look here first" thread that discusses how to use the search function effectively, because, let's face it, it isn't the eeeeeasiest thing to figure out your first time around. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Lol! D, glad you didn't say "scratch me all the way"...hahahahahaha!!!

icon_lol.giftapedshut.gificon_lol.gif

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:25pm
post #21 of 26

Mix all the way for me.......

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:29pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailsByDawn

Quote:

Quote:

Scratch here.

Mike

LOL!

Lol...I little to the left Mike....ahhh.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:37pm
post #23 of 26

Wow, we're on the 2nd page an still civil! Awesome, I think this is a record!!
I do scratch and doctored. If I need a sturdy cake I go with WASC, otherwise I will amek scratch

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:

Quote:

Scratch here.

Mike

Scratch it...Scratch it like mad!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:20pm
post #25 of 26

I'm a scratch baker, although I used to be a doctored cake mix baker when I was first starting out. Now the scratch baking is my "thing" really more so than the decorating.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:27pm
post #26 of 26

Depends on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%