Gumpaste Tiara Question

Decorating By Princessxx182 Updated 11 Apr 2012 , 3:34am by daprincessnora

Princessxx182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princessxx182 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 28

Hi all! When making a gumpaste tiara what is the easiest way to roll out the pieces you are using to shape your tiara? I've heard mention of clay guns or cookie presses? Is that the best way to go? Thanks

Paige icon_smile.gif

27 replies
BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 28

i used a clay extruder to do my first tiara out of gumpaste, then just shaped it the way i wanted and added some gumpaste balls to look like jewels.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 28

.......I've heard mention of clay guns or cookie presses?........

Yes, either of those will work. It still is hard to press the gp thru though icon_sad.gif
Soften the gp some by adding fat (Crisco) until it is like chewed gum. That helps some but increases the drying time and to some extent the strength.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 28

If you don't have a clay gun, you can do this method to make uniform "ropes" to make the tiara. Roll a piece of softened gumpaste into a rope with your hands, lay it on the counter top (or on a vinyl mat) and then use a fondant smoother to roll it back and forth, the more pressure you use on it, the thinner the rope will be. The fondant smoother will "even" out the rope and will make it nice and smooth. (hope this makes sense)

Princessxx182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princessxx182 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 28

Thanks! Any ideas how much either a clay gun or cookie press will run me?

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 28

the makins green extruder is about $16 on amazon.com. Another really easy way to soften gumpaste/fondant for use with an extruder (clay gun) is adding vegetable glycerin.

Does it have to be a gumpaste tiara? Because I find the royal icing method much easier (see the tutorial on CC).

Loucinda Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 28

IMO - the gumpaste tiaras are much stronger than the ones made of RI. I have made several of both kinds, and prefer the gumpaste ones hands down. They are not nearly as fragile. (I have also made them of white chocolate too)

Here is a pic of the last one I made from gumpaste:
LL

MyDiwa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 28

Om then - I'm shutting right up! icon_lol.gif See, I could never pull that off, keeping the gumpaste even and in line like that.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 28

Loucinda, I just can't get over how beautiful your tiara is!

The one and only time I've tried using gumpaste, I couldn't figure out how to get the ropes to stay put on the wax paper wrapped bottle. They kept wanting to slide off. What's the secret? icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:45am
post #10 of 28

OK - here is the top secret way to keep it all even and nice.

1. You want the pieces on each side to match in length, so make one rope and cut it in half - use each piece of THAT rope to make the same 2 designs (mirrored) that way each side has the same exact length of rope. (make sense? - I hope so)

2. To keep the gumpaste sticking - I take an oatmeal canister, tape the design on it, tape a piece of wax paper on top of that, then LIGHTLY grease the wax paper with shortning. The gumpaste will stick to that, and doesn't slide. (I also will take a dishtowel and lay the oatmeal container down at an angle to help it stay where I want it to)

3. Let it dry a day or so on the oatmeal container, then gently remove it (so it is off the wax paper) and let it dry another day or so - it will be "free standing" for the last drying, so the back of the tiara can dry too.

4. After completely dry, then paint it however you want. I use a brush, but you can use an airbrush too. I prefer to use the airbrush paints, they dry quicker than the gels do.

Loucinda Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #11 of 28

I forgot - I also make the "balls" (see my tiara) to put where there are intersections of the gumpaste. It makes it look nicer - no rough edges showing! I put them on slightly flattened.

When you are done with your design, make a thicker rope and put that at the bottom edge of the tiara to cover all the rough edges at the bottom edge (again, see the pic I posted above to see what I mean)

If you have any other questions, just ask! thumbs_up.gif

(and thank you for the nice comments on my tiara!)

MyDiwa Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:13am
post #12 of 28

Thanks Loucinda. I'll give it a shot...

DianeLM Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #13 of 28

Thank you, Loucinda. I think when I tried the tiara, my gumpaste was probably too stiff and I didn't have enough shortening on my work surface.

I have a tiara coming up this weekend. I'm going to give it another shot with your recommendations.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:06pm
post #14 of 28

You're welcome - and also, make sure you knead in some shortning to the gumpaste to make it really pliable if you use the extruder.

I have to make another one for next week, I think I will take pics as I go and submit it for a tutorial.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:17pm
post #15 of 28

Loucinda - your tiara is GORGEOUS! Thanks for the instructions as well!!

Loucinda Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 6:13pm
post #16 of 28

I forgot to tell you to use gumglue at each intersection of ropes. Even if it is tiny place - put a dab of gumglue there to help it be stronger. Make sure you do this at the bottom edge too where you attach the larger rope as the base.

Gumglue is just a tiny bit of gumpaste dissolved in water for those who don't know how to make it.

And thank you again for the nice comments! Post pics of your pieces so we can see them when you are done!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:25pm
post #17 of 28

Sooooo glad I found this post since I'm making one of these this weekend. Thanks for the tips!

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #18 of 28

Jumped in to check out ideas, but I am actually making a crown, still good info. Wanted to add I like the tiara pic!

Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm
post #19 of 28

I am soooo glad that I saw this thread. I will be making my first tiara next week; and yours is "GORGEOUS". TFS

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm
post #20 of 28

With your tutorial, would you please include the pattern for the tiara? Your work is beautiful.

Thanks

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 8:13pm
post #21 of 28

@ Loucinda WOW ur tiara and explainging how to do , sure painted a better picture in my mind, and i was having a hard time with the extruder but i will try again with ur tip. thank you so much

Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 9:10pm
post #22 of 28

If you have any trouble at all, pm me and I will do what I can to help you. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 9:30pm
post #23 of 28

I'm so glad this thread was reawakened. Here is my gumpaste tiara, thanks to Loucinda's great instructions. icon_smile.gif
LL

Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:29pm
post #24 of 28

Beautiful!! icon_smile.gif

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 10:56pm
post #25 of 28

Where did you guys find your template for the tiaras? I did a google search, but didn't really find one I wanted.

Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 11:06pm
post #26 of 28

There used to be some on here in the galleries, under sketches and templates. Do the advanced google search and limit it to cake central and see if they come up then.

My DD has sketched some out for me too - just make sure both sides match!

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #27 of 28

DianeLM, both your tiara and the diamond pattern are awesome! Loucinda, waiting for your tutorial...

daprincessnora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daprincessnora Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 3:34am
post #28 of 28

Hi,
I have been searching the forums for a tested gumpaste tiara with tips, and i really find this thread helpful!
Having a princess themed cake on saturday, cant wait to make it !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%