Stacking Angel Food?

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm by KHalstead

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 7

I was asked to make a 4 tier wedding cake, but the bride requested angel food in two of the tiers. I didn't give this to her as an option, but she is asking me if there is any way I can do it. Do you have any advice? I told her that angel food does not hold up to stacking and the weight of icing and fondant, but am i wrong? Thanks for any suggestions!

6 replies
jardot22 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 7

any ideas? icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 7

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I know stacking shouldn't be a factor since it's the supports that hold the next tier.

I hope someone will chime in and help you.

jardot22 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks Rylan! She just asked me if I could just do the top tier in angel food, but i'm not even sure about this, unless I can find a 6 inch tube pan to bake it in, which i haven't been able to locate yet...hmm..

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:50am
post #5 of 7

I honestly don't see how you could properly ice a true angel food cake.

That type of cake distorts if you look at it cross eyed, it gets tough when exposed to air for any length of time, and gets gooey when covered too long. It can actually shrink dramatically once out of the pan for any amount of time.

I can't see it holding a crisp edge under buttercream, let alone fondant--or tolerating any supports for a topper.............

I'd sugget experimenting before committing--but personally, I wouldn't do it.

Rae

jardot22 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all your help - I talked the bride into going with other flavors, and let her know that it just wouldn't be doable with the type of cake she is wanting. Thank goodness - I didn't want to have to figure out a way to make it work.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 7

I know a guy that his fav. birthday cake is angel food with cream cheese icing and I made him one before and it held up perfectly fine to being iced. I think the hardest part would be finding the pan in the sizes necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%