Airbrush Purchase- Where To Start?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 1:45pm by momma28

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 2

I'm looking into purchasing an airbrush and I don't know where to start. I have seen some posts on here in the past, but my search didn't return anything.

I am basically a hobby decorator - do maybe 1 cake every week or 2 at the most. I have a lot of trouble with my wrists and the kneading color into fondant is killing me!

I live in Calgary, Canada and wonder if I can buy one here? I would be willing to do an internet purchase if I knew what I was buying and it came highly recommended. Not sure what's the best to get? My budget is definitely under $200, but I'd like to keep under $150 if possible. Is this realistic for my needs?

Any suggestions would be so much appreciated! icon_smile.gif

1 reply
momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 2

I love airbrushing now that I tootk the plunge. I use it for every cake, not for color but to "clean it up" with a quick spray of vodka, and of course I use color too when needed.

I purchased a small campbell hausfield oiless pancake compressor from wal mart for 45 dollars and the airbrush tools from a local tool supply center for next to nothing on sale (the whole kit was about 8 dollars) I use, and love for their convenience, quick change bottles so that I dont have to worry about cleaning out in between colors.

It is true that this small compressor is much louder than the nice compact airbrush kits made for cake, but I needed to be frugal and it works perfectly. I cleaned all of the equiptment I bought before using and they sprayed vodka through everything to make double sure.

Make sure the compressor you buy is oiless

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%