Help!!!! Fondant Question...

Baking By carriegagne Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 1:43pm by dstbni

carriegagne Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 3

Ok I have to do a wedding cake and I absolutely love the way fondant make the cake look flawless. I no for the most party the fondant is peeled off before the cake it eaten but here is my question. Doesnt it pull the icing off once you remove it? I am just afraid that is will not leave any icing behind and leave the cake not tasting so good. Lord, I have so many questions I would be here forever!!!

Second question and I promise its the last for now. I saw on here somewhere someone talking about a WASC recipe for carving cakes and what not, however I cant seem to find it. Can someone direct me to it please.

Thanks everyone, I knew if I needed answers, I would get them here!!!

Panicked in Maryland,
Carrie

2 replies
majka_ze Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 3

To your questions:

No, fondant shouldn't be pealed off. There are many homemade fantastic tasting fondants and many much better tasting fondants you can buy than the Wilton one.
I don't care much for the taste of fondant - to sweet for me - but I leave it on my plate, I wouldn't peel it off the cake.

As for making fondant covered cake - make few before you attempt the wedding cake, choose one fondant you will work with - each and every one has few quirks you need to learn and I find it is better to find "the" fondant for you and stick with it. Choose a design where you can cover the flaws. Nothing is worse than "simple cake without any decorations".

Did you make any stacked cakes? If not, you need to practice it too. Or use tiered stand, where you don't need to stack the cake. You simply put 3 cakes on the stand and are done.

dstbni Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 3

Here are a couple variations of a WASC cake:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=white+almond+sour+cream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%