Modeling Chocolate ?

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm by anamado

lkoenig07 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:31am
post #1 of 7

Is it the same as fondant as far as stickiness goes? Trying to decide whether it'd be safe to use on a cake for a 1-year-old?

6 replies
lkoenig07 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone??

anamado Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 7

I have made modeling chocolate once. And I don't know if it's because of the portuguese goods (I am portuguese icon_smile.gif ) but I found it to be a little hard. So I would't cover a cake with it....
To make figures it's good.
But if what you are worried about is about the quality, I'd say chocolate modeling is healthier...
Do you think I understood your question???

lkoenig07 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 7

anamado, you did help... but i am still looking to an answer for my question.

i'm not looking to cover the cake in modeling chocolate, but i want to make flowers from it. i'm using the flowers on a smash cake for a 1-year-old, and we didn't want to use fondant because we were afraid of a choking hazard, because it is so chewy/sticky. i was just wondering if modeling chocolate was the same texture?

anamado Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 7

It's harder, I can't explain how much.... Not easy to chew as fondant. But fondant does melt on our moth doesn't it? At least the only one I know that is marshmallow fondant icon_biggrin.gif
The other one is more like one of those sticky candies that get in your teeth and wont come of...

elliebuff Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 7

I would say it's not as sticky as fondant--when it is worked, it is fairly pliable, but when it is sitting for a while, it is sort of like a hard tootsie roll. I probably wouldn't use it on a baby's cake...I would stick with frosting.

anamado Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 7

But some accents wouldn't hurt the baby... Parents can take them of from his slice....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%