Question About Wilton's

Decorating By grannys3angels Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 8:03pm by grannys3angels

grannys3angels Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:00am
post #1 of 5

black icing color. Is it common for it to have a really odd smell to it? I have never noticed it before. I open a new bottle tonight (it had the seal on it) and it has a very odd smell to it....kind of like a chemocial, or bleach scent.

God Bless,

4 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 5

Someone here told us, last year, that they use the black icing in the tube and mix it with a batch of icing to make black. They said the color is so concentrated that as it matures, it turns the rest of the icing just as black. They also use the red this way. Sorry, I cannot remember who it was.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

grannys3angels Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 5

Thank You playingwithsugar for your reply and the information on the black coloring. I trashed the bottle of black gel coloring I had, I was to scare to use it....the smell it had was so bad.

It was new bottle never open before, so I lost a new bottle of coloring by trashing it, but thats better then using it and being worry if it would make anyone sick.

Thanks again for your reply icon_smile.gif
God Bless,

kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 5

I would have returned it to the store. But no, it should not have a 'really bad, odd oder'.

Yes, I was the one who mentioned using the tube of colored icing; mix it with about 1 cup of your white icing and it will be nice and black.

grannys3angels Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 5

Thank You Kakeladi for your answer and the reply. I trashed it already, I have never smell anything like that before in any of the color gels. My DH & DD even said it had a chemocial type, or bleach scent to it.

Thanks for information on using tube of colored icing, I will for sure try that out for black icing next time.

God Bless, Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%