I Need Burnt Orange.

Decorating By clarasmommy Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm by cassiopeia

clarasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarasmommy Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:36am
post #1 of 7

OK, so I am making a texas longhorns cake, and I'm trying to achieve burnt orange frosting. I added orange color. It didn't get it dark enough and I am now out of orange coloring. I tried to add red and it just turned out peach. I don't know what to do. Nowhere in my town other than walmart has food coloring. I use the wilton gels, and The pack I have doesn't contain orange. Help me!

6 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:42am
post #2 of 7

Copper and orange together.

clarasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarasmommy Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:44am
post #3 of 7

I am out of orange... and I added some copper. it didn't do anything. should I add more?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:34am
post #4 of 7

Well, since I have no idea what it looks like now, I can't help you with how much you think you might need.

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:57am
post #5 of 7

can you add yellow and get it more yellowy and then add just a bit of red to make it orange until you get a good dark orange and then a bit of brown to the dark orange to make it more of that burnt orange color?... yellow and red mixed together will give you orange.. how dark is going to depend upon you and how much red or yellow you are adding to it. As far as making it the burnt orange color I would think that a tiny bit of brown until you get to the shade you want.. not sure if that helps you. icon_sad.gif I hope so! Good luck!

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:23am
post #6 of 7

I just made fondant to look like a terracotta pot - used orange, brown and red. Perhaps try some brown? I HTH!

cassiopeia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassiopeia Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 7

I just made mini pumpkin pie slices out of fondant. It took me a long time to get the right color but I used brown, red and a tiny bit of golden yellow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%