My Scientific Cc Dome Test (Sorta) Lots Of Pics-

Baking By JustToEatCake Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 4:25am by mom2twogrlz

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:17am
post #1 of 16

CLICK THUMBNAILS TO ENLARGE
I decided to do a sorta scientific cupcake study (in my tiny apartment kitchen) in anticipation of a cupcake situation I'll be having in the near future (December) and share my results with you all. I took lots of pictures so it make take a second to load. For the record I am NOT a professional (I'm sure you can tell). I aspire to the hobby not the profession.

First I used kakeladi's WASC recipe. I made it exactly by the recipe except I used milk instead of water and no almond flavor, just butter and vanilla (we don't like almond). Store bought paper and foil cups, ice cream scook (the bomb) to put batter into cups.

*Just a hint, I have one of those Command removable clips stuck to the inside of my upper cabinet door that I just leave open when cooking and I can see the recipe at eye level.(Click on thumbnails for larger pictures)
In the same pans I put 2/3 cups full paper and foil cups, 3/4 cups full paper and foil cups. I want to see if there IS a difference.

I was testing:
Pan type: aluminum, non stick, silicone, size of cups in the CC pans
Image[/img]

Cup cake liners: Paper or foil
Batter Fill: 2/3 vs 3/4
Cook time

All this in trying to acquire a nice dome on a nice cupcake.

First the aluminum pan is a old well loved"Sears Best Bridesmaid" cupcake pan. It's pretty heavy. The second is just a simple non stick, garden variety cupcake pan. You can see the CC liners stand up above the aluminum pan but not the non stick one and the slicone one is very deep. The aluminum CC pans are the exact same size cup as Wiltons. The bottom on the aluminum pan measures 2 inches on the nose but the non stick is about 2 1/8.
ImageImage
Aluminum Measures approx 7/8th of an inch non stick approx 1 1/8th
ImageImage
The silicone one was way big, so I am going to skip that other than to say the cupcakes baked well.If you want a cupcake that has straight sides because it is way taller than the CC liner then that is the size for you.

CC liners filled with batter. See how far the liners stick up on the aluminum pan compared to the non stick? Does it matter? We shall see!
ImageImage
Started out at 400 degrees for 5 mins (then back down to 350 until done approx 25 mins) and here is what we have, notice some cracks coming. I was scared at this point..
Here they are a few minutes later (above), do you see some with cracks? Do you notice a pattern? The smoothest ones, up front, are 2/3 full and paper cups. All the foils ones have some cracks, though not all bad cracks. Just something I thought I'd mention. I also noticed that there isn't toooooo terribly much difference in height per pan so far.Image
The ones on the left row were 2/3 and paper cups. The second from the left row were 2/3 full foil cups, the next two rows were 3/4 full paper and foil. ImageImage
The non stick pan, Left row 2/3 full, other two 3/4 (one each paper and foil)ImageImageImage
Just a note I overcooked the CC just a little bit. I was thinking like breadmaking that to hold the "oven spring" (dome) I needed it to be a bit more cooked but that's only for bread I guess.

A little bit on the silicone. The "oven spring" on the silicone took a bit longer than 5 mins at 400, more like 7.
ImageHere at 5 mins. ImageHere at 7 mins. ImageCooked.Image
Front 4 rows are from aluminum pan in order, back 6 (1 missing) on left from non stick, on right from silicone.Image
Very straight up shape from silicone cups being so deep for the "standard" cups I had. Image
All the 3/4 filled foil ones tended to spread as much as they domed. They ended up only as tall as the 2/3 filled cups but spread and hung over the cups. The paper ones didn't do this.

OK that's my experiment and from my test, to my dismay and my pocketbook the best overall cupcakes came from my non stick pans (someone has them on sale this week gotta remember who). They were domed well and a tad bigger than the aluminum ones. And paper cups don't make the dome any bigger than foil but they tend not to crack which could lead to deflation. If I needed the foil cups for decorative purposes I'd use them but I'd be SURE to only go 2/3 full unless you want that overhang.

They taste GREAT! The store bought paper liners worked great, they weren't the grease proof ones but I think because this recipe doesn't call for ANY oil it worked out perfectly. No greasy papers even on the cheapo white liners. Not decorative unless you need white but definitely no issues in using them.

15 replies
rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:17am
post #2 of 16

Thanks for the review. I got confused there, could you tell me which ones worked the best: the paper ones filled 2/3? or the ones filled 3/4 full? Thanks.

JustToEatCake Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:33am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Thanks for the review. I got confused there, could you tell me which ones worked the best: the paper ones filled 2/3? or the ones filled 3/4 full? Thanks.

Hi, sorry for the confusion, I'm a newbie icon_smile.gif. I like the ones filled 3/4 full in paper and baked in the non stick pan best and somewhere this week they have the 12 cup pans on sale for 4.50! I have to find where it was!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 12:31am
post #4 of 16

I'm trying to follow too. : ) Thank you for doing all of this work though, goodness you were busy. I'm working on the best filling size for my cupcake pans. 3/4 full overflows the pan and I get that awful overhang of browned and crispiness like your last picture.

I wonder if you could copy this to a Word document with the captions right with the pictures for easier reading. Would it let you attach a Word document here? Oh, just realized you have the pictures on Photo Bucket. Can you add captions for the pictures there?

JustToEatCake Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 16

Honestly, not sure how to do that but I will try to clean it up here. I was so scared that it was going to disappear before I got it posted! I've had that happen before. Type and type then have a burp and it's all gone! Let me see what I can do. I'm sorry it's confusing.

Just a note I didn't get the brown overhang, even with 3/4 full when using paper liners, only with foil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I'm trying to follow too. : ) Thank you for doing all of this work though, goodness you were busy. I'm working on the best filling size for my cupcake pans. 3/4 full overflows the pan and I get that awful overhang of browned and crispiness like your last picture.

I wonder if you could copy this to a Word document with the captions right with the pictures for easier reading. Would it let you attach a Word document here? Oh, just realized you have the pictures on Photo Bucket. Can you add captions for the pictures there?

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 16

Thank you for all your hard work. This is very interesting. I hate to throw a monkey wrench in this, but I have to say, when I make CC's, I set the oven at 350 then once it's heated up; turn it back to 325. I fill the jumbo cups 2/3 full, and I use both the paper and the foil cups at the same time. I do not have any cracking and they always dome up. I also throw in a tablespoon of meringue powder into the cake mixture for added rising. This is in addition to the eggs that are called for in the recipe. I've tried the silicon and did not like them.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:23am
post #7 of 16

thank you justtoeatcake... for all that hard work.. i am sure it will help a lot of people that want to make c/c..... thanks again

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks again Justtoeatcake!!

Enchanted- do you use a particular brand of meringue or is the Wilton's fine to use?. I have some left from my classes. lol

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 16

awesome...thanks for this!!!

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you for this information! I really appreciate the time you put into this w/ pictures, directions, etc. thumbs_up.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:33pm
post #11 of 16

Every time I read an update on this thread it makes me want to bake cupcakes. Knock it off, I'm on a diet! LOL!

JustToEatCake Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Every time I read an update on this thread it makes me want to bake cupcakes. Knock it off, I'm on a diet! LOL!

I'm on a diet too, lol..what you didn't see was that I made myself 6 of the tiny little mini muffins...lol.and ate one a day. I sent the others on their way (gifts from my test).

I tried and tried to edit the original posting and I can't. I put titles on the pics on photobucket but I can't see them on the posting. I am sorry I will try to do better next time.

MichelleM77 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:00am
post #13 of 16

No silly, you did great! It's just the way it posted on the website here that it got confusing!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:06pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Thank you for all your hard work. This is very interesting. I hate to throw a monkey wrench in this, but I have to say, when I make CC's, I set the oven at 350 then once it's heated up; turn it back to 325. I fill the jumbo cups 2/3 full, and I use both the paper and the foil cups at the same time. I do not have any cracking and they always dome up. I also throw in a tablespoon of meringue powder into the cake mixture for added rising. This is in addition to the eggs that are called for in the recipe. I've tried the silicon and did not like them.

Do you leave the foil ones on for delivery or is this just for the baking process. Is the white just inside the foil which is inside the pan?? I love cupcakes but have been very disappointed in my results so far. This thread is great!

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:08am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:

Do you leave the foil ones on for delivery or is this just for the baking process. Is the white just inside the foil which is inside the pan?? I love cupcakes but have been very disappointed in my results so far. This thread is great!

I leave the foil on.... when they are baked, both are on. It's the white or sometimes they are colored and the foils are outside. I like the look of the foil on the outsite. They are kinda loose after baking. There are alot of cupcake blogs out there to checkout. I just googled "cupcakes" one day and hit on a slew of them. Check them out if you haven't done so. Cupcakes can be so much fun!!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 4:25am
post #16 of 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

Quote:

I leave the foil on.... when they are baked, both are on. It's the white or sometimes they are colored and the foils are outside. I like the look of the foil on the outsite. They are kinda loose after baking. There are alot of cupcake blogs out there to checkout. I just googled "cupcakes" one day and hit on a slew of them. Check them out if you haven't done so. Cupcakes can be so much fun!!!

thanks. I am looking forward to some good cupcakes soon...thanks to all the help here on CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%