Orange Buttercream Filling????

Decorating By arrianna Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm by anamado

arrianna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #1 of 10

I am going to make a cake with orange buttercream filling but I'm not sure what flavor of cake would be best to use with orange. Does anyone have any ideas.

9 replies
jonahsmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 10

Well, I'm a huge fan of chocolate and orange. My husband not so much, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!

I know there's also an orange dreamsicle cake recipe you can find here. I haven't made it but it gets good reviews. HTH!

arrianna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 10

thank you so much. I wil have to check it out.

indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:34am
post #4 of 10

IT's great on white cake. I use my basic cream cheese icing and add some drops of orange flavored oil to it to make an icing that tastes exactly like dreamsicle bars!

LisaR64 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:34am
post #5 of 10

Debi, do you use any certain brand of orange oil?

indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:01am
post #6 of 10

mcCormick, right off the grocery shelf.

arrianna Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:33am
post #7 of 10

Awesome!!! I just bought a bottle of mccormick orange flavoring.

favrtdtr Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 4:49am
post #8 of 10

It's delicious arianna - i've made it and used it several times...

ThreePrinces Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 10

This is my top requested flavor combination, as I once made a white cake with orange buttercream for a church event and since most of my orders come from people at church, they ask for "the cake you made that one time." LOL icon_biggrin.gif

I prefer fresh orange buttercream on a white cake. I usually make a yogurt white cake (vanilla) with the buttercream. I make my orange buttercream with fresh squeezed orange. It's unsalted butter, confectioner's sugar, a little meringue powder, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, and then I pretty much squeeze oranges over the mixing bowl instead of adding water. I have used the orange extract from the store in a pinch as well, but I find the taste of the fresh orange to be even better.

anamado Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreePrinces

(...) I make my orange buttercream with fresh squeezed orange. It's unsalted butter, confectioner's sugar, a little meringue powder, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, and then I pretty much squeeze oranges over the mixing bowl instead of adding water. (...)

So, for that 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, how much butter and juice do you use ?
And since in Portugal there's no meringue powder, do you think it can be made without it? What effect does the meringue powder in the buttercream?
And finally, icon_biggrin.gif do you use the zest of the oranges too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrianna

I am going to make a cake with orange buttercream filling but I'm not sure what flavor of cake would be best to use with orange. Does anyone have any ideas.

My favorite flavor is chocolate with orange too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahsmom

Well, I'm a huge fan of chocolate and orange.(...)I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! (...)!

You should try this recipe icon_razz.gif
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7507/chocolate-orange-cake Exquisite!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%