Well, This Is Interesting Indeed...(Also A Question)

Decorating By keflyn Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 6:00am by Rylan

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 11

well, I tried my hand at piping today, (i've never had a class) and as luck would have it, my piping penmanship is better than my normal penmanship by far (just like with calligraphy) lol. but I don't know how to do anything else with the icing, how beneficial would it be to take the wilton class, or would I be able to figure it out on my own via tutorials?
in other words, which should I do?

10 replies
sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:27am
post #2 of 11

Why not both? You can to see different techniques and decide what works best for you.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:32am
post #3 of 11

I agree with sweet-thing - you can learn from both.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:39am
post #4 of 11

I would take the class. I had books and watched tutorials. but after I took class 1 and 2 i felt more confident and you learn things you might not think of looking into via tutorials, like covering your cake boards-I have seen so many gorgeous cakes with naked boards! also how to level, properly fill a bag and more. Its definitley worth it and fun too.

melissad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissad Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 11

Books are good, but I really enjoyed the classes (had a great teacher). For me, seeing someone actually doing things was better than looking at pictures, plus the teacher can jump in if you are struggling. I also found in finally got me to take the time out of my schedule to work on decorating, as I had to be ready for class.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:23am
post #6 of 11

I learned just from looking at the catalogs and practicing. I've never taken a Wilton class.

Bluebelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebelles Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:37am
post #7 of 11

My daughter and I really enjoyed taking the Wilton classes together. Definitely worth the investment. We just finished the final course last week. thumbs_up.gif

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #8 of 11

Some people are visual learners & have to see the technique demonstrated & not just pictures in a book. Taking the classes helps you get the consistancy, angles, bag position etc. just right. You cannot always do that by watching, you must do it for yourself & yes I am an instructor. I myself did not take all the Wilton classes & I struggled to learn some of the material until I received the proper instruction. I am now a Wilton Trained Instructor. Have fun no matter what you decide to do. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:51am
post #9 of 11

I taught myself calligraphy also back in the 70s....and I am teaching myself cake decorating....I guess you can check how I am doing by looking at my cake pics....its a work in progress...........but I don't think I will take wilton classes at this point....I learn from tv shows and you tube...and trial and err....good luck

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:06am
post #10 of 11

I think it depends on how you learn best. I really like learning from books, because I have so much material I can then reference back to. I've never taken a class. I imagine I could get something out of it, but for now I just invest in books and poke around CC icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:00am
post #11 of 11

I agree, it depends on how you learn best. I just discovered cake decorating earlier this year and personally, all I did is read, research and ask all the questions I have in mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%