If You Were New And Could Spend $100 On Anything What Would

Decorating By tatechloeandlucysmom Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 2:02pm by SGTSweetsCakery

tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:31am
post #1 of 16

Hi there! I've made about 4 or 5 cakes now and have never taken a class or seen a dvd or book. I have some Wilton cake pans, but read about another kind on here months ago that seemed "better". I think this is something I'd like to learn well enough to take a little more seriously in time. So.... if you were new and could spend $100 on anything, what would you suggest?

15 replies
Doug Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:40am
post #2 of 16

magic line pans in round and square --

6, 8, 10, 12, 14 inch (as many as that $100) would buy.

----

the pans are the first tool that can have the greatest impact on the final product in terms of quality and ease of decorating.

Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:48am
post #3 of 16

I would go with flower cutters--but that is only me since I'm new to that area.

Texas_Rose Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:53am
post #4 of 16

Do you do fondant cakes? Because there are tons of neat gadgets to use with fondant...

I've been using Wilton pans for years and it hasn't killed me yet icon_biggrin.gif So I think I would spend the $100 on something that I didn't already have. Personally for that $100 I would get a cheap airbrush, but I already have tons of cake junk so my answer is probably different than yours would be.

tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #5 of 16

Thank you, ALL OF YOU, so much for your wisdom! I love all of the different answers, it helps create a wish list! (and thank you, I never know how to post the right way! lol) I can't ice a cake to save my life, but I seem to be learning about MMF pretty easily and LOVE to work with it. icon_smile.gif PLEASE, KEEP THE ANSWERS COMING! icon_smile.gif

Kims_cakes Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:17am
post #6 of 16

I agree with Doug. I noticed a HUGE difference with the first cake I baked in my Magic Line pans.

Have fun spending that cash! icon_biggrin.gif

tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:54am
post #7 of 16

Ok, so, do you guys recommend the 2" or 3" pans? I have a 3" but can't figure out what the big deal is... (blushing) again, VERY new. icon_smile.gif Also, any names on air brushes? Thanks for your input!

vdrsolo Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:28am
post #8 of 16

I prefer the 2" magic line pans, I used to have some 3" pans and hated them, ended up selling them on ebay. Most of my cakes are tiered cakes, so I just bake 2 2" layers for each tier.

www.countrykitchensa.com gives you a discount on $100 and above

But what I would do, is go to www.intotheoven.com and sign up on their website and their message board/forums. Even though I don't participate in the forums, I'm signed up. For the past couple of years they have ran a "Black Friday" sale where they give you a pretty good discount on all items. You will only get an email if you are a forum member. Then you have to log onto the forum to see the discount code. I stocked up on more Magic Line and bought some Fat Daddios in the larger squares because ML doesn't go over a 9" square. I think that had a 20% discount code then.

margaretb Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:34am
post #9 of 16

What do you have for basic supplies? Do you do any buttercream decorating? If you do buttercream, I recommend having at least 8 icing bags (I like the 10 inch) with couplers, and a variety of tips (1,2,3,4,5 (line), 16, 17, 18 (star), at least one rose tip (say 103)), and I would have duplicates of at least one of the star tips in case you are using more than one colour to fill something in. I bought a couple roles of the wilton fancy foil this summer (the second time I forgot I had already bought one) because I was doing a few grad cakes, but usually I cover my boards with tin foil, and I just discovered the wide roles of barbeque tinfoil -- so much easier to cover a bigger board! One thing that I got that I consider a luxury but I LOVE is a wilton turntable. I was going to pick up the plastic one with a 50% off coupon, and then I noticed the metal one. It was twice as expensive, but what the hey, 50% off. I LOVE IT! If you are doing fondant lots, then I guess I would recommend that clay press (forget the name, but it gets recommended a lot for making long strings e.g. for hair or tassels), the big rolling pin with the rings on the end to guide for thickness, maybe a set of modeling tools, maybe some cutters in various shapes that you think you would use over and over. Some clear vanilla if you are making icing or fondant that you want to keep as white as possible. Meringue powder if you are doing royal icing anything. Gel colours -- I have read here that Americolour is better than the wilton ones, and I found a Canadian store where I can order them with a low flat rate shipping charge or free shipping for orders over $100, so as I use up my wilton ones, I am going to start buying Americolour. A spatula for icing cakes if you don't have one. There's just so much stuff, and you go through a lot of supplies making cakes too. What fun to have a shopping spree. Maybe browse around the galleries and see which cakes you want to make (I tend to find a cake I want to try, then the next time someone asks for a cake, that's the one they get) and think about what you would need to make them.

HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:36am
post #10 of 16

I would put a little more money with that and get an Agbay icon_smile.gif

ailika Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:14am
post #11 of 16

You can check this site out http://cooksdream.com/store/bab.html for the magic line pans

tguegirl Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:43am
post #12 of 16

I would suggest using some of that money to buy an offset spatula (get the smaller, 4 inch or 4.5 inch size) and two fondant smoothers. I cannot emphasize the fondant smoothers enough! They are around $5 each and I don't know what I did without them. I noticed a huge difference in my fondant.

kricket Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:29am
post #13 of 16

A turntable and plenty of off-set spatulas. I can't even ice a cake without those anymore. Indispensable!

Shelly4481 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 16

Spatulas, 5-8 bags, turn table, 2 fondant smoothers (I even use them for smoothing bc) americolor colors. Magic line pans, I have lots of wilton and some magic line, (love the ml). The cutter to make stripes.

tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:09am
post #15 of 16

You are all wonderful, thanks so much for the advice and ideas! I have tucked babies in bed, clicked the links and joined the sites! icon_smile.gif

I am lusting after the magic line pans and the agbay (WHERE DOES ONE BUY THIS AND APPROX. HOW MUCH?) My next mission is to figure out what an off set spatula is and what kind to look into.

So far, with each cake I have tried to acquire a few things here and there. I have Wilton pans from 6" to 14" I think, along with some smaller old pans I inherited from hubby's grandmother. I have the cooling wraps for the outside of the pans -WOW! A cheapo leveler, the Wilton tiny fondant cutter w/ interchangable edges, 2 Fondant smoothers (felt so proud when I saw your recommendations lol!) - And I have 26 wilton tips with no clue how to use them -lol, long story. I have a Lazy Susan I have been using as a turn table and lots of dowels and wilton support things with no clue how to use them properly... need to get the SPS I guess. -And I have some fondant cookie cutter things. I too, am going to try to begin to replace my Wilton colors with Americolor.

You are all angels and I greatly GREATLY appreciate you taking the time to respond! Thank you so much. I now have my list together for my birthday and Christmas! -A girl can dream. lol! Have a great week! xoxo-Laura

SGTSweetsCakery Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:02pm
post #16 of 16

This is a great forum topic! I too am a beginner and have spent more money on things that I have never used and wished I would have spent it on other things. My favorite things so far though are plastic bench scrappers from the hardware store- they normally are metal but my first metal ones rusted and I love the plastic ones because they help smooth the buttercream and can be used to smooth fondant- plus they're only $3 for a 3-pack of sizes!! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%