That's It...i'm Gonna Do It!

Business By saberger Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm by rosiecast

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 24

I decided. I have had no luck in finding kitchen space to rent hourly or daily or anything like that. I have been tossing it back and forth about renting this little place I found this past May....and I decided that I am going to rent it. The equipment is already there and included in my rent and they lowered the rent a couple of hundred $ for me. I'm bummed that it isn't going to be before the holidays, but figure that it will give me time to save more $. I also figured I could rent my space to someone in my area who is looking to help me out with the $.

I will not go in there until January so I want to 'publicize' my biz as much as possible before then. I decided on higher prices than I was going to do originally, but still within the range of competition. I also decided NOT to concern myself so much with the closest competition since she does a lot of b-day sheet-style cakes. I don't need to do those kind of cakes - she can have all of that biz. I will be by app't only custom design cakes, cookies, cupcakes, and cake truffles. Plus I have some space to hold some classes.

SO....how do I get my name out there now? I want to have business ready for when I open. And I need to start thinking about wedding season. I was thinking of getting some basic fliers brochures made. I already have the website and biz cards. Advice? What worked for you? I would appreciate everything and anything you have to share.

TIA

23 replies
CakeMom75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom75 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 24

Facebook is a great free advertising tool. You can announce your grand opening and specials to all your "fans." You may also want to do a grand opening mailing to the zip code around you - maybe with a special offer or coupon good within 90 days or so. If you have a smaller community newspaper, contact them - they may do a story on you and your business. I would do a grand opening night with samples and maybe a drawing or something fun. Invite all your friends and family and nearby businesses. Have your friends and family pass out or post fliers at their work/church, etc. announcing your grand opening. Invite the local paper or smaller news station - or take pictures and send them into your local paper. Maybe consider joining the local chamber of commerce - see if they will do a ribbon cutting for the paper. Good luck to you!!!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 24

Good for you! thumbs_up.gif Happy to hear you are taking the big plunge! Good luck in all you do! I don't really have any tips for advertising other than the obvious local paper, flyers all over town, etc....As mentioned, Facebook is a good source and Flickr probably is as well.

BEST of luck to you!! icon_biggrin.gif

tatechloeandlucysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:16am
post #4 of 24

CONGRATS!!! Ok, weird newbie answer here; please take it with a grain of salt... As a mom of little kids, here's the network around here: People sometimes want a cake and to do their party at some sort of gymnastics, art, sports, putt putt, ballet etc. place. Around here they will ask these places what can be included or do they have a referral for a cake place etc. ALSO, there is the Daycare network or Mother's Day Out. One mom or dad finds a great cake artist, and they can get TONS of buisness from a couple of kid b-day parties. (Around my area, people love the non-sheet cake cakes. icon_wink.gif People are pretty willing to pay for a cool cake for the kids, but sometimes need to know how to start... and where better to ask than the above? Just my humble opinion. icon_smile.gif What a cool step to take! I'm excited for you!

CakeMom75 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:18am
post #5 of 24

Oh - and if you do a grand opening - don't forget to invite wedding professionals too! Especially wedding planners and venues....

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 24

"Coming soon.........."
"Grand opening...." with a raffle, free samples, coupons, etc.
Good luck.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:33am
post #7 of 24

I don't have anything to add but you have alot of good ideas here.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #8 of 24

Good luck! That's very exciting!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:52am
post #9 of 24

Go for it, CakeBuddy!

(((big hug)))

icon_biggrin.gif

saberger Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 24

Thanks everyone! There are some great ideas! I would love to give out samples, but this place isn't zoned for eating on the premises. icon_sad.gif Unless I package it to go? I have no family around to help and I only have a few friends here icon_sad.gif I do have a Facebook page up though icon_smile.gif

How do I find wedding professionals around me? I am hooked up with an events planner, but would love to be connected with more.

And I have already connected with the party places around me. I am actually trying to arrange to be able to have decorating parties for the kids....but have to work out the kinks on that since people can't eat on premises.

Does anybody have a flier or brochure for their biz? What do you put on it?

I am excited, bit nervous, but VERY excited and overflowing with ideas.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:52pm
post #11 of 24

Talk to the HD about a one-time-grand-opening-eating-on-the-premises-permit. Our HD issues special permits for special circumstances.

CakeMom75 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 24

Google local wedding vendors...or find the nearest wedding show and look at their vendor list. Visit nearby hotels and wedding sites. See if you can partner with them - you recommend their hotel/site on your website and they refer you to all their brides. The event planner you are connected with should be able to give you some good contacts as well. Find an upscale local children's clothing store and see if you can set up a table one Saturday with samples and fliers announcing your grand opening. In return, you can put their fliers in your shop. Don't let the road blocks stop you! You can do it! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:36pm
post #13 of 24

Let your fingers do the walking, yellow pages and google--pretend you are planning a wedding, you'll need, florists, venues including area churches, djs, caterers, rental places, party places, linen places, event planners, chi-chi fabric stores too.

Wonder if there's an association for administrative assistants--bet there is--they plan tons of events. Getting into one of their shin digs---like some kind of yearly convention type thing...

Stirring the marketing pot ideas for you.

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:37pm
post #14 of 24

I get all my flyers and brochures from [url]www.vistaprint.com [/url]they have great prices and have templates that will help you choose your content. On my brochures I have a base price list, for wedding cake b- day cakes and our chocolate prices, all of my contact info and the services that we provide as well as a few picks of our work.

saberger Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:40pm
post #15 of 24

Thanks Mensch...that was exactly what I was thinking of trying to do! icon_smile.gif

Thanks Janette and K8. When you go to these vendors and stuff, do you go with your portfolio or anything like that?

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:41pm
post #16 of 24

I mean I'd make personal visits and drop off a plate of wedding cake cookies and a mini tier cake--stuff like that. Whatever is germaine to the place--like if there was an administrative assisitant get together I'd do maybe computer cookies and a mini computer cake--stuff like that. Or telephone receivers or pens--stuff like that.

saberger Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #17 of 24

How do I get listed on the wedding sites like The Knot and all of that? Do I have to pay?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #18 of 24

Get your cake dummies ready for your window!

saberger Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:00pm
post #19 of 24

So, I went to talk with the owner and get started on the application process. He siad "DOn't you want to be open by December to get in for the hoiday season?" I said that I would LOVE to, but I can't afford to do it for Dec. So he said he would give to me for the month! As in rent-free! Isn't that nice! What a surprise!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #20 of 24

If you're not zoned for eating on the premises, will you be able to do tastings when meeting with clients?

saberger Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 4:34pm
post #21 of 24

Oh wow! Hadn't thought of that Jeep_girl. Good question. I'll have to check on that. Although I could always use the main restaurant, I guess.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:10pm
post #22 of 24

Congratulations!!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:29am
post #23 of 24

Vista Print is awesome! For to-go samples, I use a 4oz clear plastic sqaut cup/lid (whats used for jello shots) and place a return address label on the cup. I get the labels thru Vistaprint and have biz name, ph #, web site on them with the logo. People love them and like to keep the cups for contact info icon_smile.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 4:25pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Thanks everyone! There are some great ideas! I would love to give out samples, but this place isn't zoned for eating on the premises. icon_sad.gif Unless I package it to go? I have no family around to help and I only have a few friends here icon_sad.gif I do have a Facebook page up though icon_smile.gif

How do I find wedding professionals around me? I am hooked up with an events planner, but would love to be connected with more.

Good luck! Where in NJ are you? I'm not that far so if you need some free help, let me know- I'm not an expert cake decorator, but I can follow a recipe with the best of them. LOL

I sent you an email re: the free cakes for kids.

Best of luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%