How Do You Get Your Cake Balls So Round?

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 5:07am by CakesHeaven

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 9

I cannot for the life of me get them pretty and round. Any tips? Maybe I've got weird shaped palms icon_lol.gif

8 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 9

try cupping and uncupping your hands while you roll HTH

Allaboutcake19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allaboutcake19 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 9

Hi I roll them with a bit of pressure using the ball of my thumbs then roll the ball very lightly in the centre of my palm to finish of...hope this helps!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 9

What about using one of those melon ball scoops or one of the cookie scoops from pampered chef ( I know they have other brands) but that is the first thing that I thought of.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 9

I use a cookie scoop and then roll very rapidly between my palms...the way I learned to do with playdough as a little girl!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 9

I use the small cookie scoop so they are uniform and cold dough, then pop in fridge. It took me awhile to get them NOT to look like mini-eggs, lol.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:46am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I use the small cookie scoop so they are uniform and cold dough, then pop in fridge. It took me awhile to get them NOT to look like mini-eggs, lol.

That's me, mini eggs. And I was SO good at Play-doh balls as a kid ziggy, not sure what changed icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:52am
post #8 of 9

I start out with a flat hand to roll and then cup it more and more as the ball develops, then sometimes I just flatten anything that is a little outta place. My husband just did this thing the other night dipping and they came out way smoother on the top so I am going to have to practice that now too. Its always tricky.....but I really think cold dough is key. (and of the course the corrective 'smooshing'). icon_smile.gif

CakesHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesHeaven Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:07am
post #9 of 9

I use the small cookie dough scoop, roll them in my cupped hand. Then I freeze them and before I dip them I roll them again in my hand to make them more smoother. The warmth of my hands against the cold dough seems to shape them a little better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%