How Do You Get Your Cake Balls So Round?

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 5:07am by CakesHeaven

HarleyDee Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 9

I cannot for the life of me get them pretty and round. Any tips? Maybe I've got weird shaped palms icon_lol.gif

8 replies
tatorchip Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 9

try cupping and uncupping your hands while you roll HTH

Allaboutcake19 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 9

Hi I roll them with a bit of pressure using the ball of my thumbs then roll the ball very lightly in the centre of my palm to finish of...hope this helps!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 9

What about using one of those melon ball scoops or one of the cookie scoops from pampered chef ( I know they have other brands) but that is the first thing that I thought of.

ziggytarheel Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 9

I use a cookie scoop and then roll very rapidly between my palms...the way I learned to do with playdough as a little girl!

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 9

I use the small cookie scoop so they are uniform and cold dough, then pop in fridge. It took me awhile to get them NOT to look like mini-eggs, lol.

HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:46am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I use the small cookie scoop so they are uniform and cold dough, then pop in fridge. It took me awhile to get them NOT to look like mini-eggs, lol.

That's me, mini eggs. And I was SO good at Play-doh balls as a kid ziggy, not sure what changed icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:52am
post #8 of 9

I start out with a flat hand to roll and then cup it more and more as the ball develops, then sometimes I just flatten anything that is a little outta place. My husband just did this thing the other night dipping and they came out way smoother on the top so I am going to have to practice that now too. Its always tricky.....but I really think cold dough is key. (and of the course the corrective 'smooshing'). icon_smile.gif

CakesHeaven Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:07am
post #9 of 9

I use the small cookie dough scoop, roll them in my cupped hand. Then I freeze them and before I dip them I roll them again in my hand to make them more smoother. The warmth of my hands against the cold dough seems to shape them a little better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%