Hmm, Could This Have Been It?

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm by momma28

HarleyDee Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 11

I made a post a couple of weeks ago about how my 12" layers using my usual recipe were crumbling. I couldn't understand why, because the only thing I changed was the vanilla. Well I just realized something, and you tell me if this could be it..

I didn't put cornstarch in. I don't use cake flour, so I use AP and add in cornstarch. Could that have been the culprit?

10 replies
cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 11

Did you use less flour to make up for the added corn starch. I was reviewing one recipe to make cake flour out of all purpose and it called for 1 3/4 c of ap flour and 1/4 c cornstarch. You are supposed to mix them together and then measure out.

costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 11

That's probably it. If you substituted cornstarch for flour, the cornstarch won't produce gluten and will give you a crumblier texture. It depends on how much of it you substituted for flour, but that sounds like the most likely reason it happened.

If you want to substitute AP flour for cake flour, just take out 2 Tbsp. of flour for each cup that you use, and it will work the same as the cake flour. No cornstarch required. I checked on "ba ki ng 911.com", and they say to add the cornstarch, but you don't need to.

HarleyDee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:44am
post #4 of 11

Well that's what I'm saying, usually I take out 2tbs of AP flour and add the cornstarch, and this time I didn't. But I didn't take out the 2tbs either. Maybe way too much flour then?

JanH Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:04am
post #5 of 11
Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:05am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

I made a post a couple of weeks ago about how my 12" layers using my usual recipe were crumbling. I couldn't understand why, because the only thing I changed was the vanilla. Well I just realized something, and you tell me if this could be it..

I didn't put cornstarch in. I don't use cake flour, so I use AP and add in cornstarch. Could that have been the culprit?

Do the grocery stores in your area carry White Lily brand flour? It is made from soft winter wheat just like cake flour....most other brands of flour use hard winter wheat which forms more gluten and toughens cake.

I use White Lily AP all the time in the same amounts as cake flour in recipes with terrific results....and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg like cake flour does.

costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:41am
post #7 of 11

Watch out with the White Lily, it's a pastry flour, not a cake flour. I used it once and got a different result, so I called the company and asked what percentage of protein was in it. It was 8-9% protein, not 6%. You'll get a tougher product with it, I did notice the difference with it.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Watch out with the White Lily, it's a pastry flour, not a cake flour. I used it once and got a different result, so I called the company and asked what percentage of protein was in it. It was 8-9% protein, not 6%. You'll get a tougher product with it, I did notice the difference with it.

It's all I use and my cakes are perfect!

momma28 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 11

I use ap flour + corn starch all the time. I like the way it works for my method better than cake flour. For 3 cups of cake flour requested in a recipe I use 2 1/4 cups ap flour and 1/4 cup + 2 tblsp corn starch.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 11

I don't know.

I just have an aside.

I used cornstarch in pound cake once and dude, it so tasted of corn it was alarming to me. It was a family cake to eat with a juicy fruit compote type dessert but wow wow wow was the corn flavor strong. It actually went great with the fruit but oh my oh my.

momma28 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I don't know.

I just have an aside.

I used cornstarch in pound cake once and dude, it so tasted of corn it was alarming to me. It was a family cake to eat with a juicy fruit compote type dessert but wow wow wow was the corn flavor strong. It actually went great with the fruit but oh my oh my.

Wow what brand did you use? I NEVER taste corn in my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%