Refrigerated Batter??

Decorating By monkeny Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 7:04pm by marmalade1687

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 7

I have alot of batter that was left over so I put it in the refrigerator (2 days ago) Can I still use this??

6 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 7

Was it box mix or a delicate scratch recipe?

Unless it is something like sponge cake, depending only on whipped eggs to rise, you are safe to bake it today. Mix it again before putting it in the pan. For sponge cake batter - me personally, I would add baking powder, mix it again and bake. For me the 2 days, max. 3 days in fridge are OK. You will bake the batter - most problematic safety wise are eggs and you will heat them thoroughly when baking.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 7

Does it still rise? Does adding more baking powder give it a different taste? I have always wondered how long you could put batter in the frig before it effects the quality of the cake?

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 7

Does it still rise? Does adding more baking powder give it a different taste? I have always wondered how long you could put batter in the frig before it effects the quality of the cake?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 7

I store box mix batter in the 'frig all the time and it bakes up ok.

I also use the Hershey recipe on the side of the cocoa can for my choc cakes ..... store leftover in the 'frig and it holds up ok.

This may or may not make a difference at your end, but as a caterer, I can see that my comm'l refrigerator holds foods better than my home 'frig. (veggies and salad mix lasts DAYS longer in my shop 'frig!) So if you have a regular home 'frig, this may make a difference in the results you get.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiecake

I mentioned adding baking powder only for sponge cake - in the "true" sponge cake, there isn't any baking powder. You need the foam from whipped eggs for this cake to rise. As you loose it with the time (and 2 days in fridge is definitively over the safety margin), you need another leveling agent. It will taste a bit different but not all people can detect the difference - for example I cannot. Some sponge cake recipes are now more fool proof through adding baking powder, but it isn't usually necessary. Unless the batter is "too old", of course.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 7

I have frozen extra cake batter (mix), thawed it out a week later and it has made a perfectly fine cake - no worries about that stuff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%