Keep Candy Apples From Sticking To Wrapper?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm by PinkLisa

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 9

I need to package candy apples for a bake sale and I thought I would use cellophane bags but everytime I try and stick the apple in it grabs the edge of the bag icon_mad.gif ..Any advice?

I know I could cut squares of clear cellohane I cut myself from a roll but I have all these cookie bags I don't want to spend any more money on packaging...I thought I read on here somewhere that CC members spray the apPles with Pam spray so they don't stick?

Laurel icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 9

Does anyone know....

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 9

can you cut the bags in half and wrap them around the apples

when i see carmel apples they are usually covered in nuts which helps prevent the sticking and are in plastic containers.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 9

Can you roll the bag down so the apple doesn't have to touch the sides as it goes in? If you don't like the look of a wrinkly bag, sometimes a sprinkle of edible glitter inside will make it look like it's supposed to be that way. icon_smile.gif

Or, maybe you can cut down one or two sides of the bag, place the apple, then pull up the sides and bunch up the bag around the apple?

Pam seems like a good idea, but I wonder what it would make the bag look/feel like?

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 9

I just used cellophane bags for my caramel apples. I didn't have too much trouble but refrigerated them first to make sure they were hard. As they set out for a few minutes they started getting harder to get in the bags. The bags did stick to the apples when the kids tried to get them out but I just had them tear the bag open.

DianeLM Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 9

Kiddiekakes says she's making candy apples, not caramel apples. I don't think refrigerating candy apples will help with the sticking, but I'm no expert.

PinkLisa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 9

You are right DianeLM but I always thought that candy apples get hard and shiney. I never made them myself but that's how the ones I had in the past were.

DianeLM Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 9

Yes, PinkLisa, they're pretty much hard-candy-coated apples. I've never been a fan myself. Ick.

I think that some people use the term 'candy apple' when they really mean 'caramel apple' simply because they don't know there's really such a thing as a CANDY APPLE. icon_smile.gif

Hopefully, we'll get clarification from the OP.

PinkLisa Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 9

I love the look of candy apples (so red and shiney) but I agree they taste ICK - ha ha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%