This Might Sound Silly But How Do I Adjust Cooking Times?

Decorating By JFcakes Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 2:28am by Melnick

JFcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JFcakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:21am
post #1 of 7

I'm not even sure if it is necessary to adjust the time?

If I make a cake mix, but then use the mix for cupcakes ... would I need to adjust the cooking time?

Also, if I make a mix, but double the quantity, would I need to double the cooking time to?

Thanks for any help with this in advance icon_smile.gif

I'm now off to enjoy another slice of Australian Mud Cake icon_lol.gif

6 replies
Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:18am
post #2 of 7

Love that Australian mudcake!!!!

If you use a cake mix but as cupcakes you generally do need to adjust the cooking time down - they are smaller and cook faster. It depends on the size of you cupcakes. I have a cupcake book and generally smaller cupcakes cook from about 20 mins and larger cupcakes (texas muffin size) from about 30 mins. Mudcakes taken down to cupcakes are generally 30 mins for small or 40 mins for large.

I use cake mixes to make the cupcake of the old size (smaller than muffins) and it takes about 14 mins to cook as opposed to 40-45 mins for the cake.

You probably will find that if you double the mix it will take longer - not necessarily twice as long but it depends on the pan size more than anything. If you doubled the mix but poured it in 2 pans, you wouldn't double the time. Does that make sense? When I double the mix I usually start at the time it suggests and then keep checking periodically until its ready. My sister has said that it won't work with a mudcake - you need to leave the oven closed for as close to cooked as you can or you can cause the centre to collapse.

Hope you are enjoying your cake! Have you tried the white mudcake? It's even more delicious with a tiny bit of coconut!!!!!

JFcakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:35am
post #3 of 7

OMG Mud Cake cupcakes icon_eek.gif it has to be done icon_lol.gif

I made my own butter cream for the cake that really tips it over the edge icon_lol.gif I'm thinking it would be a little overboard for anyone who doesn't like really sickly cake! Hehe.

Thanks so much for your help, it certainly makes sense. Of course checking the cake after a certain time is fool proof, I just didn't want the hassle of keep opening the door and letting the heat out kwim? But it's better to do that than have the cake over cook.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 10:07am
post #4 of 7

. . ok, im gonna jump inm on this thread and high jack it lol, but what is mudcake, it sounds . . Well bloody lovley and ive never had it lol icon_sad.gif !

JFcakes Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 7

Well the cupcakes worked a treat! Mud Cake cupcakes topped with orange chocolate buttercream and a red fondant rose to finish icon_biggrin.gif Mmm.

My hubbies work colleagues are going to be in for a treat tomorrow I can tell you! I've told him, all this baking has to go somewhere, and we aren't going to eat it all ourselves. He huffed like a teen icon_lol.gif

Cath ~ http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14688/pams-chocolate-mudcake that's the mud cake I made icon_biggrin.gif You should try it, it really is wonderful ... but definately more for chocoholics.

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:16am
post #6 of 7

yum....I must try this mud cake.....my 2 cents though, double the recipe DO NOT DOUBLE THE COOKING TIME!!!!!!!! I learned this the hard way with banana pudding instead of the wonderful texture it had when I made it the first time, it had the consistency of bread, NOT GOOD

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:28am
post #7 of 7

Pam's recipe is awesome! It tastes delicious with chocolate ganache although I have to use milk chocolate for the ganache otherwise I find it far too rich. It's that little bit of coffee in the cake that really makes it! And it is a fairly foolproof recipe!

Those cupcakes sound divine! I'll try to find the white mudcake cupcake recipe.

Cath, Mudcake is a dense cake made of a lot of chocolate! It is a very rich type of cake so you only need a little piece. Since it is so dense, it is usually great for carving too. It is holds weight well too. It is the Aussie answer to WASC and is the most common cake that people get for celebrations. We normally cover it in chocolate ganache too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%