Pearl Dust Question

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 12:11pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:35am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a bridal shower cake for my daughter's godmother. It will have a dress on top of the cake, to resemble her wedding gown. Her gown is ivory. I want to put chocolate pearls around the base of the cake. In the past I have used the super pearl dust to make the pearls shiny, but that was on a white cake.

If I make the chocolate pearls with ivory chocolate, will the super pearl dust make them look white, or will it just make them look pearly? If it will make them white, do you think I could add some ivory petal dust to the super pearl, or would it not blend well?

icon_smile.gif Thank you so much for your wonderful help! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 4

I'd try making a few first, then testing it with the pearl dust. I use the white modelling chocolate, which is really the ivory color, and put the gold and silver dust on it, and it covers the ivory up almost completely. I'd guess that the pearl would make the ivory chocolate look more pearly than ivory, so it depends what look you're going for.

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 4

I recently made an ivory cake with pearls. I used Jennifer Dontz chocolate clay in ivory and used the super pearl dust on them and they looked fantastic. The pearl dust didn't really change the color it just made them have that pearly effect. Check out my one and only picture posted -that is the cake that I am refering to.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 4

Your cake is just beautiful!

The two cakes that I have made with pearls also used Jennifer's techniques from her DVD (as well as supplies I ordered from her). The pics are in my sad gallery. I think I need to make the fondant covering for the cake more ivory as well. When I look at my brother's wedding cake (the one on the tiered stand) the fondant looks white and the pearls appear to be more ivory. Did you use the regular white chocolate or the super white that Jennifer sells? (that's what I used originally)

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%