Need Help With Cake Sinking In The Center

Decorating By DMJ69 Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 7:42pm by DMJ69

DMJ69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMJ69 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 13

I am trying to make the wilton soccer ball cake. I am using my from scratch red velvet cake. So far I have tried baking it on 350 with a flower nail, and it sunk horribly. So I tried again with the flower nail and lowering the temp. to 325 and it still sunk. Normally it would not matter a whole lot if I was just using buttercream to frost it but I will be making a dragon cake so it will also have fondant and gumpaste scales and wings. (this is like the practise dragon in my photos but paired down a great deal) I do have a little time but I still have to bake all the cakes for the 4 tier wedding cake. I am freezing the cakes until the 11th.

My husbands idea is to bake a 6" cake and cut down to fill in the hole. It would work but I really want everything to be perfect because this is a surprise grooms cake for my little brother.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dawn

12 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 13

Maybe try using less batter or the same amount of batter but bake it for a longer period of time.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 13

It sounds like it is baking too rapidly on the outside and under-baking on the inside. If you try baking the cake again you can try a flower nail in the middle and clip some wet rags to the outside of the pan to lower the temp of the outside of the pan. Also don't take the pan out to check on it too soon, that is when I get sunken cakes. Peep in through the window and don't touch it until you can see it starting to pull away from the sides.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 13

My tried and true chocolate cake starting doing the same thing, sinking in the middle even though I always bake at 325 with bake even strips around the outside. I lowered the temp even more and didn't pull out to test for done until I saw it pulling away from edges and while it still sunk a little, not as much as it had been doing. So I too would like to see some other suggestions.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:06am
post #5 of 13

Sometimes the weather can affect it (low pressure - cold and humid). I always add an extra egg or egg white now to prevent it from happening.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:07am
post #6 of 13

Oh...that stinks and I know exactly how you feel. If all the above suggestions don't help...you may need a new oven. I had the same problem about a month ago. I baked two tried and true cake recipes (several times) and they kept falling on me. Not that I am baker extraordinair but I suspected that the oven was the culprit so I called GE and they sent someone out to do a diagnostic on my oven. Come to find out that the ignitor was going so the oven wasn't holding its temp icon_cry.gif I had to buy a new oven because what it would have cost to repair it was a little less than half of what a brand new oven would cost....so I went with getting a new oven icon_biggrin.gif

HTH

DMJ69 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:22am
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the advice.
I never thought about the weather, it has been raining and humid here today. I will try lower the temp. down to 300, add baking strips and not open the door and see what happens.
I know it is not my oven because it is only a year old.
I'll try again tomorrow and let you know what happens.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:48am
post #8 of 13

do you have an oven thermometer? Even a new oven can be off by many degrees from where you have it set.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:48am
post #9 of 13

do you have an oven thermometer? Even a new oven can be off by many degrees from where you have it set.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #10 of 13

you may need to use a core in the center so it gets baked all the way in the center

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoycake

So true...so true. Even though I have a new oven, I keep an oven thermometer in it to gauge the temp. I didn't know this, but the rep from Whirlpool said that most gas ranges bake 10-15 degrees away from the set temp.

DMJ69 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:19pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoycake

So true...so true. Even though I have a new oven, I keep an oven thermometer in it to gauge the temp. I didn't know this, but the rep from Whirlpool said that most gas ranges bake 10-15 degrees away from the set temp.

I did not know that about gas ovens. I have to run to Lowes this morning so I will see if they have an oven thermometer, since that is where I got my oven.

I never have problems with my cakes baking in other pans at least not yet. I will be baking my first 12" cake this week so I better get a thermometer so I have no problems with that one either.

DMJ69 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:42pm
post #13 of 13

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help.
I was able to bake the cake with almost no sinking. The little bit of sinkage can be filled with 2-3 tbsp of frosting.

I ended up using 2 flower nails, about a cup less batter, dropped the temp. to 315 and did not open the oven- it all worked. The sinkage happened as it was cooling.

Thanks for the advice of the even temp. my oven is off- the left side is registering 10 degrees less than the right, the right side is correct.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%