Anyone Else Having Trouble With Candy Melts Seizing?

Sugar Work By Phyllis52 Updated 4 Feb 2014 , 10:42pm by SweetShop5

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 32

For years I've been using the Wilton Candy Melts for a few years now for the cake balls and never had a problem. I would add a little shortening and it would be great to dunk in. For the past 2 or 3 times it would get to like a thinner frosting stage and then seize up. No water dropped in, everything was dry.....I haven't the faintest idea what it could be. I haven't done anything different.

I'm really confused with this.. icon_eek.gif

31 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 32

Is it with the same batch of melts? You may have picked up a bad/old bag of candy.

Do you melt in the microwave or over a double boiler? Maybe your micro is acting up and overheating them.

That's all I got. icon_smile.gif

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 32

I have the Wilton chocolate melter and I've also microwaved them, I've used a new bag each time. Maybe I should use a double boiler.

I bought the Mercken's chocolate and will try that.

I just don't understand it, for years I've had no problem......
It's not hard, just melt the chocolate, add some shortening and dip. Sheesh....

Thanks for your help.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 32

Did you microwave on high perhaps? I think the bag says to microwave on 50% or something like that. Just a thought...

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 32

I had that same problem recently. I put mine in the microwave and if it was one second too long, it would seize. I finally decided to use a double broiler.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 32

YES!!
I just posted this a few days ago! I had it seize on me for the 1st time after using them for years with no problems!
I wonder what's up?

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 32

I used them for the first time the other day for cake balls and followed the directions on the back "heat in microwave for 1 minute at 50% power and in 30 second intervals after that until melted" I didn't have any trouble.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 32

i have found that wilton melting pot burns the choc if i use the melt setting. i only use the warm setting....HTH

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 32

I had similar problems with the Wilton candy melts. I thought they might have been old or had gotten some moisture in them. I bought a new bag and they melted fine.

charliecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 32

Yes, been using them for years and here recently they just seize up. don't know what's going on. I've resorte to using a double boiler which takes longer but i have success. unfortunately, i can't use the microwave anymore. I hate that

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:49am
post #11 of 32

I've had the same problem the last two time I used them too. The first time I melted in the microwave and the second in a double boiler. Both time the melts seized on me. Melting in the double boiler they were fine for the first few balls but then it started to thicken and I had to keep reheating for a few seconds after every two or three balls. It to me forever to cover those cake balls.

csorrell71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csorrell71 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 12:56am
post #12 of 32

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. I had not had this problem with Wilton melts before. It happened with 3 bags of different colors. I bought some CK melts. Hopefully they will not give me any problems.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #13 of 32

I wonder if Wilton changed their formulation. It's been a few months since I've used them. Welcome to CC csorrell71

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:26am
post #14 of 32

Have they changed the formula to transfat free?
Crisco needs to be handled differently since they changed it, maybe the same happened with the Melts?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:14am
post #15 of 32

Moisture is not the only reason that candy melts sieze. You are probably overheating them. This is more common with the white melts than the milk or dark, but it will happen with all of them.

They can sometimes be saved by adding some paramount crystals or shortening.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:27am
post #16 of 32

I thought it was just me! I had trouble with all the Halloween ones I bought. I used the Wilton melter and the double boiler. I gave up on and I was bummed since I really wanted to use the black and spooky green.

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:27am
post #17 of 32

I use the melts from AC MOORE. Don't know if you have that store by you. I have been using the double boiler instead of microwave. Find it works much better, never hardens because I cover the cake balls while the chocolate is sitting over the pot of hot water. I don't have to use any shortening either.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:34am
post #18 of 32

AC Moore carries Make'n Mold brand candy melts.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:39am
post #19 of 32

I've done OK with Wilton melts at 30% power on the microwave. I have made the mistake of forgetting to turn down the heat and have had it seize because it burned. I did have a problem with the orange Wilton ones for Hallowe'en. I also use the Merckens wafers, and I find those troublesome. They melt fine, but as I let them sit on the heating pad that I keep my chocolate on while I work, it doesn't want to stay melted like the Wilton melts usually do. Not sure why????

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:41am
post #20 of 32

I only had trouble with them when they either are old or I heated for too long.
Edna icon_smile.gif

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #21 of 32

I found that certain colors were terrible to melt and I had a lot of problems with them ( the dye did something) purple, orange , red and blue were difficult. I think something has changed such as the fat products used. I use to get food parafin, melt a bit of it and add to these colors. Try some other companies and see if you are having the same problem.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:05pm
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyrice

I found that certain colors were terrible to melt and I had a lot of problems with them ( the dye did something) purple, orange , red and blue were difficult. I think something has changed such as the fat products used. I use to get food parafin, melt a bit of it and add to these colors. Try some other companies and see if you are having the same problem.

Yeah..this is true!..I sometimes add some crisco to make them better.
Edna icon_smile.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 4:24pm
post #23 of 32

I put them in the micro for 30 secs then about 20 and stir, the only one I always have problems with is red melts, they always seize on me icon_rolleyes.gif

Julesmcm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julesmcm Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:07am
post #24 of 32

I'm in Australia and just used these melts for the first time (I bought them online). I am planning on making cake pops with them, but just melted a small handful of the green to see how they went. Everything was going smoothly until I left it to re-set. I've found that the green has ended up with a speckled white film on it. Does anybody know what this is, and how I can avoid it??? Also, how runny do they get when they melt? As I said I am making cake pops and was under the impression that the melts would go quite runny, but they are far from being runny - definitely melted and smooth, but not runny! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:45pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmcm

I'm in Australia and just used these melts for the first time (I bought them online). I am planning on making cake pops with them, but just melted a small handful of the green to see how they went. Everything was going smoothly until I left it to re-set. I've found that the green has ended up with a speckled white film on it. Does anybody know what this is, and how I can avoid it??? Also, how runny do they get when they melt? As I said I am making cake pops and was under the impression that the melts would go quite runny, but they are far from being runny - definitely melted and smooth, but not runny! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

I have added oil to them to make them runnier, or added cocoa butter to the chocolate to make it smoother and runnier. I'm not sure how cocoa butter would taste in the colored ones, but you could always try it icon_confused.gif

I used 1 oz. of cocoa butter to one bag of the Wilton melts.

ChelseyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChelseyT Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 7:14am
post #26 of 32

Not sure if anyone noticed BUT... Wilton just got VERY popular very fast in the last... year and a half? Maybe the sudden change in demand took its toll?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 8:35am
post #27 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesmcm 

Julesmcm:  'Mercken' & 'Peters' make candy coatings that I buy and like  better than Wilton's. I also have to buy them online from here.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 8:39am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna 

I only had trouble with them when they either are old or I heated for too long.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna:   You aren't kidding about heating them too long.  That really kills candy coating.  I've learned the hard way to just slightly heat, then patiently let it sit a few seconds,  stir a bit, repeat.........

ps:  your cakes are the absolute BOMB !!

ChiCakeLady75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiCakeLady75 Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 5:47pm
post #29 of 32

When I first started candy making I only used Wiltons candy melts because that's all I knew! I hated the taste and I found that it never got to the perfect creamy consistency I wanted. I just feel like Wilton doesn't put out a good food product anymore. After taking a candy class at a supply store nearby I started using Peter's Chocolate and Merckens chocolate because that's what they carry. They are AMAZING! I use a crock pot to melt them. (Not directly in the crock pot, I fill it with water and set the chocolate in a bowl on top of the water) It melts down quickly and is sooooooo unbelievably delicious. I would never ever use any other chocolate product besides Peter's Chocolate and Merckens Chocolate. Sometimes when I'm making cake pops, I have to add some of the paramount crystals to thin it down. It's honestly one of the best, if not THE best, candy making product on the market!

StrawnCakznBakz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StrawnCakznBakz Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 5:37am
post #30 of 32

AI had the same problem so I too stopped using the melt setting on my chocolate pros. If I'm in a hurry I melt them in 20 sec burst at 40% in the microwave then transfer them to the pro. Also I'm not fond of the taste when using vegi oil so I switched to grape seed oil. Sales went up since the switch so grape seed's a keeper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%