Cake Came Out A Little Short...

Decorating By erincc Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm by erincc

erincc Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making over 400 servings of wedding cake for my cousin. (as a gift, I'm only charging for ingredients) Normally I don't do dummy cakes...but I'm her bridesmaid also and have a small baby- 'nuff said! Anyway, I don't want people to KNOW I'm making sheet cakes icon_redface.gif so I'm doing 2-layer kitchen cakes. I'm making pumpkin cake (scratch), it's a recipe I've used before, but never in a 12x18-inch pan. I baked them today and they are a little short, like 1 1/2 inches each layer, so the finished cake will be just over 3 inches with the filling/frosting. Do you think that will look bad (cut & on the plate)? My options would be to: make a 3rd layer for each cake, making a 5-inch tall cake (and screwing myself $$$ since they already paid me) OR maybe have them cut a little wider to make up for the lack of height? I'm not worried about getting less servings out of the cake since I know there's going to be a lot of extra cake anyway (the bride & her mom seem to think everyone they invited is going to show up & nothing I can say will convince them otherwise!). Gosh, sorry this is such a long question! What would you do?

3 replies
DianeLM Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 4

Well, if you think there will be enough servings if they are cut a little larger, then I don't see a problem with that at all. As far as I can tell, we cake decorators are the only ones who pull out the magnifying glass, tape measure and note paper the moment the cake appears on the table. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 4

Don't worry about it, it sounds like there will be a lot of cake left over anyway. I agree with the tape measure idea, too! icon_smile.gif

erincc Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 4

Yeah, you're right...I'm sure I'm the only one that would notice! I just needed some reassurance. (and I've been guilty of pulling out the tape measure many times!) Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%