What's The Difference Between Pearl Dust And Luster Dust?

Decorating By kjskid Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 5:32pm by autigger57

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a cake that will have gold or bronze accents on it, and I'm wondering what the difference is between pearl dust and luster dust? I've seen pearl dust at the store, but I don't think I've seen luster dust. And how do you use either one? I've never used either before.
Thanks!

10 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 11

I can't find a difference in them. Maybe pearl dust is more opalescent then the luster dust but, no difference.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 11

I really don't know. In my mind, pearl dust is a "pearl" color luster dust.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 11

Not sure what brands you are using but I have both here - the PEARL dust is actually white/cream with a HINT of colour ..... so VIOLET PEARL only goes on white and in different lights you see a spark of violet

Where VIOLET LUSTRE DUST makes the whole thing a pale LUSTRE..ERY violet colour

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:05am
post #5 of 11

Luster dust is more metallic and has bolder color, pearl dust is just what it sounds like, a hint of color and a pearlized finish.

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 11

Are they both edible? I'm specifically looking at metallic colors -- gold/bronze/copper.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 11

They are usually non toxic. If you want something that is FDA approved. Check out the Crystal Colors brand. Sugar Art also sells FDA approved ones but only for petal dusts.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 11

Petal, Pearl & Luster Dusts are ideal for use on gumpaste or rolled fondant flowers, plaques & lettering, etc. Any of the powders may be mixed with alcohol or lemon oil for painting. Each type of dust creates a different effect to help give the exact sheen desired.

Petal Dusts are used to achieve deeper hues with a matte finish. When brushed on petals of white or pastel gumpaste flowers, a realistic effect is created. Add a blush of color to gumpaste flowers or emphasize a feature with a tiny brush mark.

Pearl Dusts produce a shimmery luster. Use Super Pearl on flowers made from colored gum paste. When dusted on white petals, the other pearls in the range exhibit a subtle colored sheen by reflection, although displaying no apparent color. Add an iridescent hint of highlight color.

Luster Dusts give subtle color with a sheen finish. In the dry form, use them for dusting. They may be used on their own, or mixed with similar colored dusts to create a lustrous sheen without lightening the color. Brushed on white, they exhibit color and sheen. Mix with alcohol or lemon oil for painting or highlighting.

Sparkle Dusts have a larger grain size with a sparkling finish. Gives gumpaste flowers a wet or dewy look with just a touch of color.

Disco Dust (or Pixie Dust) add sparkle & flashing highlights of color to your pieces. Use this when you REALLY want to sparkle.

Highlighters are non-edible and have a high sheen finish. For decorative use only.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 11

Forgot to add the dust info is from Tracy on SDs.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 11

I want to add that Wilton's pearl dusts would fall under the 'luster' dust description for most of us. I'm not sure why they called them pearl but they do have bronze and gold pearl dusts. You can find them at Michaels. Wilton's pearl dusts are FDA approved so they are prefectly find to use on a cake.

Most dusts I have seen say they are non toxic, which isn't the same thing as edible. What it means is that they shouldn't hurt you, but they aren't really meant to be eating (think glue).

autigger57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autigger57 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 11

Can you buy petal dust in a store like Michaels or can you only get it online? I am making a a cake that looks like a barrel basket with fall leaves flowing out and wanted to use petal dust to color the leaves but I dont know where to buy it...:-/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%