Disaster Baking As I Type - Wilton Checkerboard Pan

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 10 Jun 2012 , 4:07am by Pearl645

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 16

My husband bought me the checkerboard pan so I thought I would try it out!! Made a boxed carrot cake and a boxed white cake. Started putting in the batter but didn't know how much and the Wilton box does not really specify . . . anyway I didn't have enought carrot cake batter left for the third layer!!!! As I am typing and looking in my oven I have WAY too much batter in the first two layers. HELP how much batter are you supposed to put in each section? Hopefully I can level and ice it. I was going to decorate it for fall and give it to my pastor. icon_cry.gif Thanks for listening.

15 replies
PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 16

Its been a while since I made a checkerboard cake, but I always just made sure I had the same amount of batter in each section. I would spoon batter out if it wasn't even. I hope it turns out okay!

revskg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revskg Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 16

No more than half full with that pan. I have also wrapped the pan with my Wilton Cake leveling strips and that semmed to help keep everything equal. Good luck, you may be able to level it with a knife adter it cools.\\

sherryg

Addie2580 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addie2580 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 16

I will fill it up only half way on each section, just like when u doing a regular cake. Hope everythong turns out ok. Good luck

Addie

he_calls_me_angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
he_calls_me_angel Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 16

I actually made my first one a few days ago, I filled mine only half way...I hope it works out!

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #6 of 16

Thank you all . . . I was able to level it. We'll see what it looks like when I cut it.

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 16

I always fill any pans only 1/2 way. Including the checkerboard one.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 16

I used to have one of those pans when I was younger (not from wilton, but the same design)... at some point I realized it's WAY easier to bake two kinds of cake, cut the layers into rings with appropriately sizes cake rings or round cutters, and re-assemble with alternating rings for the same effect icon_smile.gif

Addie2580 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addie2580 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 16

That is what I do, its much easier for me, have done it several times with no problems.

escaliba1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
escaliba1234 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 11:29am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I used to have one of those pans when I was younger (not from wilton, but the same design)... at some point I realized it's WAY easier to bake two kinds of cake, cut the layers into rings with appropriately sizes cake rings or round cutters, and re-assemble with alternating rings for the same effect icon_smile.gif

Many thanks for this idea.
I always had my doubts about using a checkerboard pan set.
Would welcome other people's experiences with checkerboard cakes.

escaliba1234 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 11:29am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Many thanks for this idea.
I always had my doubts about using a checkerboard pan set.
Would welcome other people's experiences with checkerboard cakes.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 16

I just bought a checkerboard pan. Haven't tried it yet. I went to the Wilton website and read the reviews on the checkerboard pan and got lots of good tips on how to use it. Give it a look.

escaliba1234 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 12:35am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

I just bought a checkerboard pan. Haven't tried it yet. I went to the Wilton website and read the reviews on the checkerboard pan and got lots of good tips on how to use it. Give it a look.

Thanks for that, Ellie1985.
I found the site a great help.
Lots of good ideas and photos.
I now actually understand how the effect is obtained with the checkers; before, it seemed a bit like magic! icon_smile.gif

escaliba1234 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 12:52am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

Thanks for that, Ellie1985.
I found the site a great help.
Lots of good ideas and photos.
I now actually understand how the effect is obtained with the checkers; before, it seemed a bit like magic! icon_smile.gif

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 1:22am
post #15 of 16

I just bought a Wilton Checkerboard pan set because I had a 50% off coupon. Total was $9 for three cheap pans and a plastic ring, not too bad. icon_biggrin.gif

What I don't understand is that it says you need 3 cake box mixes. One box per cake seems like a lot.

They also tell you to fill it 3/4 full, but they are only 1.5 inches high.

Also online I read that you are not supposed to put different flavors together because they will bake differently, has anyone tried this with any success?

I did make a cut and paste one and it cake out okay, I think I needed to frost in between circles to keep it together better. Hopefully this set will work better.

Also they don't mention bake times or if you should increase what the box says by a certain amount since they are telling you to bake a whole cake in one 9 inch pan, when normally one box would make 2 layers.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 4:07am
post #16 of 16

Wow im really surprised to read all these good reviews about the wilton checkerboard pan. I bought mine 3 years ago and flung it in the bin after. I 1st used my vanilla recipe and chocolate recipe for the checkerboard effect and when i levelled and torted the cakes I realized the vanilla and chocolate were baking into each other badly. Looked like a hot mess. So I tried the recipe on the box for the checkerboard set and got better results but not 100% perfection...and neither in taste.

I'm interested in how these cake rings are made and stacked to get this checkerboard effect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%