How Do I Keep B/c Grease Off Cake Ribbons

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm by addietx

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 4

I'm doing a cake that will require wide ribbons around four tiers of cakes. The ribbon is a light mossy green, and I'm afraid the buttercream grease will splotch it and ruin it.

Any suggestions? I once read somewhere that if you spray the whole ribbon with Pam ahead of time, that it will work. I thought maybe using a strip of wax paper, but how would you attatch the wax paper to the ribbon?

Thanks for any help.

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 4

The methods I use:

I use a crusting BC. I don't apply the ribbon until I assemble the cake, which is after the icing has crusted. What causes the spotches on the ribbon is when it comes into contact with moisture. Once the BC has crusted (dried), there is no moisture to stain the ribbon.

I sometimes stain the entire ribbon using crisco (or you can use Pam). This stains it uniformly and there are no splotches. Careful: If you do this on navy blue ribbon it will turn black, so test the ribbon first.

There are other methods that work well for our CC'ers and I'll let them explain what works for them, as these are the only 2 methods I use.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 4

Other than what indydebi mentioned, you can also like the back of the ribbon with packaging tape.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 4

I have tried several methods as described: tape on the back, letting the BC crust, ironing waxed paper on the back of ribbon, etc. I have given in and given up. The grease wins! My ribbon ALWAYS got grease spots. Now I just either grease the ribbon first or just put the ribbon on and let the grease do it's thing. The ribbon gets darker but at least it is not spotty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%