Turning Yellow Cake Mix To Choc.

Baking By cabecakes Updated 1 Nov 2009 , 3:39am by cabecakes

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 7

I have several boxes of yellow cake mix that I would like to use up. My family prefers chocolate cake though. I would assume that I can just add cocoa to the mix to convert to chocolate, but I'm not completely sure how much to add without messing with the structure of the cake. Hope that makes sense. Any ideas.

6 replies
bellabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabakes Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 7

I've done this before. I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure I added 1/4 c. cocoa to the dry mix first. It came out really well I remember that! HTH

cabecakes Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 7

You didn't have to add any extra oil to compensate for the dry cocoa?

bellabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabakes Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 7

I don't believe I did... maybe someone else has done it and can put in their 2 cents.. but I'm 99% sure all I did was toss in some cocoa powder, and it was fine. I always bake box mix cakes for less than the time on the box, slightly underbaking I guess..., and they come out moist and I don't think this was any exception.

Good Luck!

Magna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magna Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 7

I have not added cocoa, but when I make walnut cake out of the yellow cake mix, I add 3 tablespoons ground nuts, and 3 tablespoons sour cream. I think you could add some sour cream if you have any concerns about dryness.

cet1187 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cet1187 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 7

This is a chocolate cake recipe I use all the time. It uses a yellow cake mix as a base. It tastes awesome!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1988/blue-ribbon-moist-and-fudgey-chocolate-cake

cabecakes Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 3:39am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the help. I think I may try each of these ideas just to see which I like better. This is why I love this site so much. You can get an answer for just about anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%