Ri Not Mixed Long Enough?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 3:24am by indydebi

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 7

I made a very small flower wreath out of gumpaste with RI flowers on top. The RI flowers were so fragile and broke off.
My mixer blew while I was making the RI, so I could only mix about 1/2 the required time.
Is this maybe the reason for the fragility? Or should I not have mixed RI and gumpaste?? I'm guessing here...

The rest of the cake (minus a really cool gumpaste decoration that worked out great) was a disaster too, but that's for another post. I think I took on something a bit to big for my britches, but sure learned a lot in the process though. And that's the important part, right?!

Thanks!

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 7

The under mixing may have affected the outcome of the icing, but things made out of RI are very fragile anyway.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 7

If you flowers were really small and delicate that's probably why they broke. I love using RI to make my flowers and they always dry great but you really need to be careful with them because they will break.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 7

Is there an alternative to RI for flowers that small? Besides BC?

Thanks!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 7

There are some small molds that can be used with gumpaste/fondant to make tiny flowers, but I've never used them. I saw someone on a cookie competition use them one time.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:19am
post #6 of 7

If your icing held it's shape then it wasn't under mixed. When royal icing is not mixed long enough it is very thick feeling but 'melts' and doesn't hold any shape at all.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:24am
post #7 of 7

I use my BC for everything. Once the flowers air dry, they are easy to handle and I rarely have any breakage at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%